Disciplinary action has been taken against some state officers who have been found to be responsible for not taking action to prevent the Easter Sunday bomb attacks in line with the government’s decision to implement the recommendations by the Presidential Commission of Inquiry which probed the mayhem, Minister of Public Security Tiran Alles told Parliament today.
“I will also look into how certain video clips on Zharan who led the suicide attacks on April 21, 2019, have been leaked,” he added in response to a question raised by SJB MP Hector Appuhamy in Parliament.
“I cannot clearly say how these clips have been leaked, but I will look into it and will inform the House,” he said.
Also, the Minister said the report of the Presidential Commission has not held SDIG Nilantha Jayawardene responsible for the attacks.
“SDIG Jayawardene has been found guilty by the Supreme Court and has been ordered to pay compensation,” he said.
An argument erupted at this time where Chief Opposition Whip Lakshman Kiriella insisted that the SDIG had been held responsible for the destruction caused by the Easter Sunday bomb attacks.
MP Appuhamy said the SDIG has been named as being responsible on page 320 of the Presidential Commission report.
The Minister assured that he will come out with more details on the Easter Sunday bomb attacks in two days time. (Yohan Perera and Ajith Siriwardana)