Expressing hopefulness that the government would give its nod to continue the Colombo Port City Project without delay, the project’s main contractor CHEC Port City Colombo (Pvt.) Ltd, today said that the completed work would be washed away leaving only half of it if the suspension continues for two weeks.
The Company had completed 13 per cent of the entire project as at last Thursday, when the Cabinet suspended the Chinese-funded Project citing it had failed to provide relevant approvals from the concerned institutions.
The Cabinet gave two weeks time for the company to submit approvals, a media statement said.
Project’s Health Safety and Environmental (HSE) Manager Kosala Perera explained that a marine project was extremely different to a land project, and that a marine project would be severely affected if it was suspended at any point before completion.
“If a marine project was halted halfway, the sea would keep damaging the project until the project continues. About 150 metres of an armour rock (protective wall) that was built had already been washed away because of the suspension. Even if we were told to continue from the next day, we won’t be able to start from where we stopped,” he said adding that it would have been sensible to allow the project to continue while waiting for approval.
Meanwhile, Project’s Environmental Manager Tusitha Chandrasekara said they have obtained all the necessary reports and approvals from relevant government authorities to start the project, and that they have continued to obtain monthly reports through the Coast Conservation Department (CCD).
“We have obtained all the approvals from relevant authorities. Otherwise the then government wouldn’t have let us start the project. There is no basis on the reports that the approvals were given without a proper study because of previous government’s tilting towards China,” he said.
He said they ‘resubmitted’ the reports and approvals to fulfill the current government’s call for approvals after its decision to suspend the project. “We gave the same set of approvals and reports which we already had given. We hope the government would do a study within the two weeks and permit us to continue,” he said.
Deputy Project Manager Chandana Gunawardane said their employees and service providers would be gravely affected if the project was halted. “We have 943 direct employees and about 5,000 people benefit from the project directly and indirectly. The livelihood of these people will be in risk if the project terminates,” he said while complaining that authorities have forgotten the plights of the project employees. (Lahiru Pothmulla)
Small minded people do not understand the benefits the country would reap from a major project like this. They only know for political reasons, to insult and ridicule those who had the vision and courage to undertake projects like this, which would help Sri Lanka to regain the 30 years lost due to brutal terrorism. It seems, the architects of such terrorism are now driving these disruptive foolish forces to self destruct.
sanjeeva Tuesday, 10 March 2015 12:19 PM
all are discussing the environment issues but how about the credibility of the contractor CHEC. those who are really keen to know the company CHEC, please goto world bank web site and search for CCCC (china communication and construction company). CHEC is a subsidiary of CCCC. CCCC has been blacklisted by world bank for a huge fraud in uganda and philippines. we the happy go lucky sri lankans are welcoming the fraudsters with open arms. god save sri lanka
public Tuesday, 10 March 2015 12:27 PM
Only an idiot would say NO to such a large investment.
Sam Tuesday, 10 March 2015 12:44 PM
This project is similar to killing the goose for golden eggs. Pls stop this disaster before it is too late. You cant right the wrong by continuing in the wrong course.
sineth hasun Tuesday, 10 March 2015 12:58 PM
I have done big mistake by giving vote for my3
shantha gamlath Tuesday, 10 March 2015 01:30 PM
Yes, government must give a positive signal for the world class investors to come and invest their capitals in Sri Lanka in a correct way. Also, should not be discourage them due to malpractice of the local politicians.
kan Tuesday, 10 March 2015 10:03 AM
Yes it will be awarded to you in spite of impending disasters on which our west and south coast will suffer and will in return affect people residing close to the sea.
de silva Tuesday, 10 March 2015 02:45 PM
Do we really need this project.How can we give land to another country and close our eyes.One day China will tell us that the whole country belongs to them.
Ebathog Tuesday, 10 March 2015 03:02 PM
We have no choice. Let the project continue but concentrate on apprehending all the culprits who benefited. In the meanwhile get an undertaking from the Chinese that they will be open and release names of all those who were involved.
Chami Tuesday, 10 March 2015 03:12 PM
Now I realize that I made a big mistake by voting my3All the signs shows that they are dragging country to worstPlease forgive me for my mistake
simon Tuesday, 10 March 2015 04:18 AM
What lame excuses are given by the contractors. First we need to know if it a danger to the environment and secondary could we foot the bill.At the moment the govt is going through some financial crisis even to pay the most essential bills !
Mevan Tuesday, 10 March 2015 05:17 AM
We Sri Lankans do not want part of our country however small it is, to be owned by a foreign country. That is what will happen if this project will be completed. So we want this govt. to totally stop this project.
malindu Lakkana Tuesday, 10 March 2015 06:03 AM
All project bosses are shedding crocodile tears for the loss of jobs etc. but the fact is that if this is allowed to continue the whole country people have to pay to china a big sum by means of taxes etc for many more years to come.
Comments will be edited (grammar, spelling and slang) and authorized at the discretion of Daily Mirror online. The website also has the right not to publish selected comments.