- There was no need to impose any lock-down because all precautions had been taken
By Yohan Perera
Some 153 people belonging to 29 families at Jinthupitiya in Kotahena including a Colombo Municipal Councillor have been sent to the quarantine centre in Kandakadu after a seaman residing in the area tested positive to COVID-19, Colombo Municipal Council (CMC) Chief Medical Officer Dr. Ruwan Wijeyamuni said yesterday.
He said this person was sent to a quarantine centre earlier and returned home after 14 days. The first PCR test was negative according to Dr Wijeyamuni.
“However, he was tested positive on Thursday and dispatched to IDH immediately. We also tested eight members of his family but they tested negative,” Dr Wijeyamuni said.
“However we decided to remove the 29 families from the area and sent them to a quarantine centre as a precaution. There is no need to subject the area to a lock-down since we have taken precautions to control the spread of the disease he said.
Dr. Wijemuni confirmed that one councillor has also been quarantined. He has been subjected to a PCR test and found to be negative. This member of CMC had attended the council sessions on June 30. However, the other councillors do not have to panic as this member has tested negative.
“This incident cannot be rated as a second wave as the health authorities in the CMC, the central government and the security forces have done all that is necessary to prevent the spread of the disease,” Dr Wijemuni said.