The committee investigating the Nawalapitiya incidents recorded statements from UPFA candidates in the Kandy district and will record further statements from ‘outside parties’ today before handing over a report to President Mahinda Rajapaksa, government sources told Daily Mirror online.
According to government sources, gathering of evidence over the incidents which led to the re-poll of the General Elections in Nawalapitiya will end today afterwhich a detailed report will be submitted to President Mahinda Rajapakse upon his arrival to the island after his Bhutan visit for the SAARC summit.
The candidates whose statements have been recorded are Keheliya Rambukwella, S.B. Dissanayake and Mahindananda Aluthgamage.
According to government sources, President Rajapakse has already informed the candidates that those found guilty over the Nawalapitiya election related incidents will not be given a post in his new cabinet.
“The President has already informed the candidates that those found guilty will not be given a portfolio. The President has been angered over the Nawalapitiya incident and says that inter party fighting amongst his UPFA candidates during the election campaigning had been a disgrace to the government and disgusting,” government sources said.
Disciplinary action is also expected to be taken against the candidates involved in the violence which led to a re-poll.
Attorney-at-law W. Karunajeeva chairs the committee proceedings and other members of the committee are lawyers Champani Padmasekara, Saliya Mathew, Chandra Fernando and Professor Rohana Lakshman Piyadasa.
Meanwhile atleast one UPFA candidate from the Kandy district is expected to file legal action against Elections Commissioner Dayananda Dissanayaka for cancelling the first poll in Nawalapitiya over claims of violence and malpractices, Daily Mirror online has learnt.
The MP is of the opinion that cancelling the poll and calling for a re-poll in the area was "unfair" and was a result of misleading information. (Daily Mirror online)
Comments - 9
Wednesday, 28 April 2010 01:35 PM
we already know all three are power hungry men who will go to any level to get a portfolio. i seriously think all three should be put on the bench and it be given to a another 3 candidates who won the minister portfolio's
Wednesday, 28 April 2010 04:40 PM
'All three politicians are innocent.' The culprit must be a Grama Niladhari, Police Constable who was on duty, or the Security Guard on duty, next door.
Wednesday, 28 April 2010 06:02 PM
All are in the same boat ... he .. he ..
Wednesday, 28 April 2010 09:04 AM
Wednesday, 28 April 2010 09:11 AM
Wednesday, 28 April 2010 09:12 AM
If SB does not get a ministerial portfolio, we can see him jumping again to another party: maybe this time JVP or DNA.
Wednesday, 28 April 2010 09:36 AM
As earlier stated this is nothing but a grand eyewash. None of those UPFA big names will be found guilty of any wrong doing.
Wednesday, 28 April 2010 11:00 AM
We heard on TV what SB & Keheliya had to say - let's see what the president will do. He will show his true colours!
Thursday, 29 April 2010 05:04 AM
There is one more right?
Comments will be edited (grammar, spelling and slang) and authorized at the discretion of Daily Mirror online. The website also has the right not to publish selected comments.