KABUL AFP Jan16, 2020 - The Taliban have offered a brief ceasefire to the US, two insurgent sources said Thursday, a move which could allow the resumption of talks seeking a deal for Washington to withdraw troops from Afghanistan.
Washington has for weeks been calling on the militants to reduce violence, posing it as a condition for resuming formal negotiations on an agreement that would see US troops begin to leave the country in return for security guarantees from the insurgents. “It is an offer for a ceasefire either for seven or 10 days,” a senior Taliban official who requested anonymity told AFP, adding that the offer was made to US negotiators in Doha.
“It has been finalised and given to the Americans. It is going to pave the way for an agreement.” A second insurgent source, based in Pakistan, confirmed that the offer had been handed to the US.