A woman, her daughter and three grandchildren were admitted to the Homagama Base Hospital with symptoms of poisoning after consuming a mixture of leaves 'melluma' with their lunch, Kahathuduwa Police said.
Preliminary investigations had revealed that the grandmother had mistakenly plucked the leaves of the 'Atthana plant' all the while believing she was plucking manioc leaves.
The victims are residents of Mattegoda.
Hospital Medical Superintendent Dr. Thissa Indrasiri Perera said the health condition of the 70-year-old grandmother, her 40-year-old daughter, two granddaughters between the ages of four and eight and the three-year-old grandson was not serious.
Police are conducting investigations. (K.Buddhika Kumarasiri)
I believe the manioc yam itself is poisonous if not washed thoroughly to remove the toxins. The leaves must be even more poisonous.
Bippity Boppity Boo Monday, 28 September 2015 09:35 AM
This is a very serious case. We can see how low the standard of living is among the majority of Sri Lankans. Some people drive Lamborghini while other have to eat Karawila for all 3 meals and now Manioc leaves. Please not not Manioc yams. The shows the economic state of the country. Time to wake-up and work hard for the betterment of the country.
Comments will be edited (grammar, spelling and slang) and authorized at the discretion of Daily Mirror online. The website also has the right not to publish selected comments.