Megapolis Minister Patali Champika Ranawaka yesterday submitted a 10-point action plan to be carried out by both the Muslim community and the Government to curb the terrorist threat posed by Islamic fundamentalists.
1. At a time when the Prevention of Terrorism Act and Emergency regulations are in effect the Thawheed Jama’at organization and all its affiliates and related organizations that are responsible for the attack should be banned. Its members and those who engage in hate speech should be arrested irrespective of their political affiliations. Their assets should be confiscated.
2. The Niqab and Burka worn by Muslim women should be banned considering national security and co-existence among communities.
3. If there are foreign Islamic teachers who had come to the country to teach at Madrassas and to promote the Arabic language they should be immediately deported from the country.
4. A proper mechanism should be put into place to monitor and regulate Islamic organizations and voluntary organizations that operate in a suspicious manner and are known to receive foreign funding.
5. The Batticaloa University or the Kattankudy Sharia University and the Islamic study centres in Beruwala, Maharagama, Trincomalee and Addalaichchenai should be brought under the control and supervision of the University Grants Commission and the Education Ministry.
6. All foreigners including those from Pakistan, Bangladesh, India, Maldives and Afghanistan without a valid visa should be immediately deported from the country.
7. The security forces should be allowed to investigate the teaching process and related matters of Mosques.
8. A special visa procedure should be put in place for those who seek visas to Sri Lanka from countries with terrorist activities (especially countries where there is Islamic fundamentalism and terrorism).
9. All government intelligence agencies should be strengthened and governed by one operations centre.
10. The President, the Prime Minister and the Opposition Leader should be directly be involved in the work of the National Security Council.