Administering COVID-19 vaccine to those who consume alcohol and smoke cigarettes is mere a waste of money and resources, said National Authority on Tobacco and Alcohol (NATA) Chairman, Dr. Samadhi Rajapaksa.
“Smoking affects and damages the respiratory system as same as what the COVID-19 virus does to human. Therefore, those who consume alcohol and smoke cigarettes are highly susceptible to become infected with COVID-19 virus,” Dr. Rajapaksa underlined.
“Also, consuming alcohol and cigarettes weakens one’s immunity, and thus, giving vaccines to them is absurd. It is very much ideal to provide these vaccines to those who abstain from smoking and drinking in order to gain productive results of the vaccination,” he added.
Dr. Rajapaksa also requested people to stop smoking and avoid taking alcohol at least for six months, if inoculated. (Sheain Fernandopulle)
Sam Silva Friday, 12 February 2021 07:00 PM
We are experts on new medical findings
smoker Friday, 12 February 2021 07:00 PM
that's including you then..
Raja Friday, 12 February 2021 07:18 PM
Keeping you on the job is a waste of money
St. Peter Friday, 12 February 2021 08:04 PM
NATA - what about the Robbers, Looters, Murderers, Rapists, cheaters and so on... also, liquor producers, distributors, retailers, cigarette producers and so on........We will not need vaccines or Dhammika's paniya either!!!!!!!!!
mp Friday, 12 February 2021 08:06 PM
One who has fire at one end and a fool at the other end makes silly comments here.
Saranga W Friday, 12 February 2021 08:32 PM
don't lie The whole thing about alcohol and smoking is unfounded elsewhere
Shiran fernando Friday, 12 February 2021 08:41 PM
Then pls ban smoking and alchohol in the country. Knowingly u allow fatal stuff to be consumed.
Chris Friday, 12 February 2021 09:12 PM
People can smoke, consume alcohol, and do whatever, remember they are also human. Show compassion.........
Jeeves Friday, 12 February 2021 09:20 PM
No time to waste! If we want to minimise further deaths and return to some sort of normality, EVERYONE needs to be vaccinated, irrespective of their lifestyle! Otherwise, presence of virus enables more mutations, and new variants!
Basil.Mark Friday, 12 February 2021 10:24 PM
According to the good doctor 75% of the world need not be vaccinated as they consume alcohol or smoke.lf the other 25% are either addicts , terminally ill, diabetics or obese the list goes on and on.Now I wonder who the perfect candidate is?Why the fixation on smokers and those who consume alcohol?
Raj Friday, 12 February 2021 11:52 PM
No such things have been mentioned in other countries. There is no scientific proof to say that vaccines will not work if you drink or smoke.
Praja Pathirana Saturday, 13 February 2021 08:48 AM
What do you have to say about giving massive loan by government bank to stock cigarut
Joshua Saturday, 13 February 2021 10:07 AM
Hawkeye Saturday, 13 February 2021 11:14 AM
This guy may be a qualified, experienced professional, but he is a callous, unfeeling, pathetic excuse for a human being.
Sammy Saturday, 13 February 2021 11:24 AM
Is this the opinion of International experts? It is not everyone who drinks alcohol or smokes that is affected. What about drug addicts? If smoking and drinking alcohol are that damaging, why are they not banned? Not banning is assisting unintentional suicide.
Anthony Perera Saturday, 13 February 2021 12:34 PM
One word to describe this despicable man. IDIOT. No compassion whatsoever. I am sure there is a place for him down below one day.
Good noose Sunday, 14 February 2021 07:37 AM
So is giving lifeimprisonment to murderers and rapist instead of hanging them high!!!
Add commentComments will be edited (grammar, spelling and slang) and authorized at the discretion of Daily Mirror online. The website also has the right not to publish selected comments.
Sri Lanka boasts of a 2500 year old Buddhist culture. This culture also inclu
Abortion is illegal in Sri Lanka unless the life of the mother is at risk. Re
Recently, the “Country Strategic Plan (CSP) for Sri Lanka” was approved b
02 Jun 2023 - 18 - 1702
02 Jun 2023 - 0 - 167
02 Jun 2023 - 0 - 81
02 Jun 2023 - 6 - 1019
Name - Reply Comment