A pineappley based chicken dish.. critics might question the unusual combinations ..pineapple and chicken..but consider it a large version of a Chinese sweet and sour dish, but with a certain panache. A clean refreshing dish is perfect as a mid week dish and a perfect wholesome family meal option.
- Whole chicken or pieces
- 2 cups pineapple juice
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 pieces bay leaf
- oil for searing
- 2 tbsp Kithul pani
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 220g of pineapple chunks
- 1 tablespoon of chille flakes
- 1 medium onion (minced)
- 5 cloves garlic (minced)
- salt to taste
- Combine pineapple juice, soy sauce and black pepper. Mix well. Pour over the chicken. Add bay leaf. Marinate for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- After marinating, drain from the marinade. Then sear all sides of the chicken until brown. Heat 2 tbsp. oil in pan and sear the chicken. Turn to cook each side. After browning, set aside.
- In the same pan, saute onion and garlic. Then put back the chicken. Add the reserved marinade. Add oyster sauce, chillie flakes and Kithul pani.
- Simmer for 15 minutes in low heat.
- After 15 minutes, turn the chicken to cook the other side. Simmer for another 10 minutes on low heat.
- After 10 minutes, add the pineapple cubes and its juice. Then start basting the chicken (scoop some sauce and pour over the chicken as you cook). Cook the chicken until the sauce thickens (medium heat).Once the sauce is reduced, add salt to taste. Simmer for a minute then remove from heat. Serve with some sticky rice or a salad.