Environment Minister Mahinda Amaraweera said today a final decision would be taken this week after a meeting with manufacturers on the banning of quarter bottles of arrack.
At an event in Suriyawewa, he said bottle manufacturers had been asked to take the responsibility of buying back the bottles after being used.
He said if they refuse to do so, the usage of quarter bottles of arrack would be banned and that the decision to ban sachet packets have already been taken as a move to minimize environmental hazards. (Roshan Dilip Gunasekara)
Good move. Liquor buying quota for each citizen per week
Warren Raed Wednesday, 02 September 2020 11:26 AM
You think it will solve the problem. Bar owners say that if it is banned, two consumers will get together and pool the money and buy half bottles and drink. These half bottles will again cause environmental issues. When that happens, are you later going to ban half bottles? I wonder how people voted for such silly leaders.
Vijay Wednesday, 02 September 2020 12:09 PM
The Arack manufacturer and the suppliers should be made responsible for the collection of the empty bottles. People throw them into other peoples lands, compounds and spoiling the environment. Introduction of big deposits or return value irrespective of purchase. Hope action not just talking
eresh S kumara Wednesday, 02 September 2020 12:35 PM
This will lead to buy a half or a full bottle indeed.Do you guys think that our people will stop buying quarter bottles and stay home
Manoj Wednesday, 02 September 2020 01:17 PM
Don't be satisfied with a quarter, drink at least a half, and keep the SL flag flying.
Samson Wednesday, 02 September 2020 01:25 PM
Will help some of those in office
TONY R Wednesday, 02 September 2020 02:34 PM
START MINIATURE PEG BOTS INSTEAD
Comments will be edited (grammar, spelling and slang) and authorized at the discretion of Daily Mirror online. The website also has the right not to publish selected comments.