By Sheain Fernandopulle
UNP MP Sarath Fonseka said the governments that were in office since 2010 should be held responsible for the series of terror attacks on Easter Sunday and pointed out that it was not fair to blame only the IGP.
He told a news conference that the terror attacks might have been planned for quite some time and as such both governments should be held responsible for the attacks.
“It is reported that the incumbent government was informed of imminent terror attacks in the country. However, though my security personnel knew about it but I was not informed,” the MP said. “There are many who are calling for the sacking of the IGP and held responsible for failing to convey the information to the relevant authorities. However, I am of the opinion that the removal of the IGP is not the solution.”
He said if the intelligence mechanism had been better equipped and streamlined, these attacks could have been averted.
“After the war ended, I was really concerned about strengthening the intelligence service in the country in a more effective manner. However, I was not allowed to do so,” the MP said and added that the particular terrorist organization that had carried out the attacks in Sri Lanka might consist of at least 200 members.
It is reported that the govt. was informed of imminent terror attacks in the country. However, though my security personnel knew about it but I was not informed