Government has violated the guidelines issued by the World Health Organisation (WHO) when observing the last rites of Muslim national who died of COVID-19 on Monday, two Muslim politicians alleged yesterday.
“It is an accepted practice world over those families’ and religious’ rights and sentiments be observed in times of sorrow, despair and grief. In this backdrop the callous disregard with which the body of a Muslim person has been dealt with by authorities in Negombo makes one ponder whether that was done to undermine the good work of the health sector and to cause distrust in the system by suspected patients. Or to keep away the Muslims from seeking medical treatment for the fear of possible cremation which again would, in turn, increase the burden on public health,” SLMC Leader Rauff Hakeem said.
“SLMC notes with shock and dismay that the body of the 2nd victim of the COVID-19 pandemic in Sri Lanka, who died Monday night at the Negombo Hospital had been cremated immediately thereafter,” SLMC Leader Rauff Hakeem added.
Former UNP MP Mujibur Rahuman said the victim has been cremated violating the guidelines of World Health Organisation (WHO). “Under the guidelines of WHO, consent of the family members of the deceased person should be sought before performing the last rites,” he said.
Also he said those who are responsible for the issue had violated the government’s own circular where it says those who fall victim of COVID-19 should be either buried or cremated.
“We request the government to carry out an investigation and to state as to who is really responsible for the violation.”(Yohan Perera)