Last Updated : 19-04-2014 08:30


 
 

Govt. dismisses AJ photos

E-mail Print
By Dianne Silva            

The Government today dismissed the authenticity of photographs shown on Al Jazeera (AJ) depicting piles of bodies and execution-style killings allegedly captured during the final stages of the war.

Media Minister Keheliya Rabukwella said the images were nothing new but a repetition of the channel 4  footage. “These are not new, but the same as the channel 4 footage and photographs with a few additions,” he said.

He said Al Jazeera itself could not verify the photographs and thus their authenticity was in question once more, similar to the footage and photographs that had emerged in the past.

Al-Jazeera said it had obtained the images from an unnamed source who said they had been taken by a member of the Sri Lankan military. It said it was unable to verify their authenticity.

Meanwhile External Affairs Ministry Spokesperson and Public Communication Director General Banduala Jayasekera said these were “malicious reports” that were being circulated by various parties. “This is a clear attempt to disgrace Sri Lanka and undermine the victory our forces had over a brutal terrorist organization,” he said.


 
 

Views : 10241
 
SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend


Add comment


Security code
Refresh

The ride that ended in tears
Bad weather destroys houses in Mahakachchikodi
Good Friday
.…?
The ride that ended in tears
Bad weather destroys houses in Mahakachchikodi
Good Friday
.…?