A child, who had been bitten by a cobra, had been transferred to two government hospitals before it could be treated with proper anti-venom for cobra bite, sources said.
Staff of the Nawalapitiya hospital was shocked when they saw an elderly man carrying the sick child along with a huge cobra in a plastic container.
The elderly man said the child was bitten by the cobra and that he had brought the snake as well to make it easy for the doctors to identify the serpent.
The doctors at the Nawalapitiya Hospital referred the child to the Kandy General Hospital following preliminary treatment.
The child, a resident of the Laxapana area in Ginigaththena, had been bitten by the cobra when he was playing about near the house.
His parents had left the child to the care of his grandfather and gone to work.
The grandfather, who had heard that in case of a snake bite, it was easy for the doctors if they could precisely identify the snake, had caught the cobra with a noose and brought it to the Laxapana hospital with the child.
The child was first transferred to the Nawalapitiya hospital from where it was transferred to the Kandy General Hospital.
Later, the doctors at the Nawalapitiya hospital called a veterinary surgeon at the Peradeniya veterinary hospital, who took the cobra out of the plastic container, cut the noose and released it into the wild.(Suranga Rajnayake)
C. Sabeson Monday, 14 August 2017 12:53
Is the child safe?
Reply : 0 21
Rubert Tuesday, 29 August 2017 10:27
That what I was looking for, but the news is not quite news, something people always do and have been advised by the health authorities for the people to do, this is fundamentally flawed news.
Reply : 0 0
ANTON Monday, 14 August 2017 19:31
NEXT TIME WHEN A VEHICLE HIT HIS CHILDREN , HE WILL TAKE THE VEHICLE TO THE HOSPITAL.
Reply : 40 1
dulan Saturday, 19 August 2017 21:00
In rural areas the hospital asks for the cobra to be brought in order to identify the type before giving anti venom medicine
Reply : 1 7
kondaya77 Monday, 14 August 2017 23:45
He did the right thing.
Reply : 0 48
Vernon Tuesday, 15 August 2017 00:08
Visakuru Sarpaya, deka nomarapu modaya!
Reply : 6 7
jaliya_ Friday, 18 August 2017 20:12
Nice work for an older man !! ...... now wash that container with soap before you recycle that !!!
Reply : 0 1
Add commentComments will be edited (grammar, spelling and slang) and authorized at the discretion of Daily Mirror online. The website also has the right not to publish selected comments.