Child hit by principal for saying butterflies don't have legs

2019-02-11 09:40:49
4366

A 6-year-old student, who allegedly received a whack on the back of his body from his principal for writing that butterflies have no legs, has been hospitalized, the child's mother said.

Sadev Apendra is a grade two student attending Weherathenna Roshan Mahanama Vidyalaya in Welioya.

His mother M.G. Dilani said the principal had come to her son’s class and given the students a graph which contained pictures of a lizard, a bee, a butterfly and a caterpillar and had asked them to reply yes or no next to the animals in the graph that had legs and those that did not.

"My son had written no against the butterfly and the principal had hit him hard on his back", she explained, adding that her son is an asthma patient and the principal knew about his illness.

The boy had slept after coming from school without even playing as usual. He later complained about having a pain in his back. The next morning she said they admitted him to the base hospital.

The 6-year-old boy, Sadev, had told the doctors that the principal had landed a hard shot on his back.

However the District Medical Officer of the Padaviya base hospital said that they were only treating the child for a respiratory condition.

The acting OIC of the Bogahawewa Police SI Bandara said that statements had been taken from both the child and his mother and that an impartial investigation would be conducted into the incident.(Piyadasa Samaraweera)

• ANTON Monday, 11 February 2019 13:40

ZOOLOGICAL QUESTION FROM A YEAR ONE STUDENT ?

Reply : 0       15

Citizen Monday, 11 February 2019 14:55

Let's not hang the Principal until we know both sides of the story and the TRUTH

Reply : 6       7

Jay Monday, 11 February 2019 18:34

6.... years.. old student hit by principle ?? definitely butterflies have no legs and principle may have horns.

Reply : 0       17

mano Ratwatte Tuesday, 12 February 2019 23:31

Reminds me of the jerk who slapped me across my ear in Grade 4. He was a substitute teacher and he told us to draw coconut trees on our science books. My coconut tree was not great; he called me to come up to him and drew a coconut tree entirely with a thick blue pencil. I had giggled a bit because it was in blue. The guy hit me across the ear. I will never forget that incident. He was a minority community teacher who was grumpy and used to ride a bicycle to school. I never told anyone, but my ear hurt for the entire day. Yes Royal College had sadistic teachers too. So many other abusive teachers.

Reply : 3       11

shan Wednesday, 13 February 2019 14:26

With free education we lack QUALITY educators. These teachers are treated like gods, and when questioned use the typical Lankan teaching methods, violence.

Reply : 0       7

G Thursday, 14 February 2019 07:23

This happens when people tend to become teachers to earn a living.

Reply : 0       6