Several insurance companies had introduced health coverage through mobile operators to pay compensation to people diagnosed with COVID-19 and those killed by the disease, Insurance Regulatory Commission (IRC) Director General Damayanthi Fernando said.
She said mobile operators had agreed to pay the premium and customers of the respective mobile operator will be eligible for the coverage.
“The customers do not have to make any contribution. The mobile operators have agreed to pay the premium on behalf of their customers. Three insurance companies have agreed to work with mobile operators to launch this special insurance scheme,” she said.
Meanwhile, she said Insurance companies had been directed to grant three months grace period to policy holders, who were affected by the COVID-19 outbreak, to pay their premium.
She told Daily Mirror that the grace period will come into effect from March 1 and June 30.
She said policy holders, who had no financial issue in paying the premium, could continue to pay the premium as usual and added that however, insurance policies will not be inactive due to non-payment of the premium during the grace period.