- The reason for this phenomenon is the prevailing climate changes
By Sheain Fernandopulle
The Meteorology Department yesterday issued heat weather advisory in ‘ Extreme Caution’ level to be expected in most parts of North-Western, Western Provinces and Mannar, Galle and Matara Districts.
The Department said the Heat Index Forecast is calculated by using relative humidity and maximum temperature and this is the condition that is felt by
The Disaster Preparedness and Response Division of the Department together with the Ministry of Health have requested people to adhere to the following instructions.
- Stay hydrated and take breaks in the shade as often as possible.
- Check up on the elderly and the sick.
- Never leave children unattended.
- Limit strenuous outdoor activities, find shade and take sufficient fluids.
- Wear lightweight and white or light coloured clothing.
Although there has been a slight increase in temperature during the past couple of months, this is the first time that the Met Department has issued a heat advisory warning considering the prevailing hot sunny weather.
“The reason for this phenomenon is the prevailing climate changes that have affected the entire world,” National Building Research Organisation (NBRO) Senior Scientist H.D. Sarath Premasiri told Daily Mirror .