Contaminated food has been found in few Vesak “dansalas” functioning in the country while the organizers have been asked not to distribute these foods, the Public Health Inspectors Association told Daily Mirror.
According to PHI association nearly 602 “dansalas” in the country have been inspected on Tuesday, the Vesak Poya Day.
An official from the association said no warnings were issued against any dansala organizers.
Meanwhile the Colombo Municipal Council (CMC) had also collected food samples from several dansalas that were in the Colombo City. Chief Medical Officer CMC Dr. Pradeep Kariyawasam told Daily Mirror that the samples will be tested for contaminants.
He said the results would come in few days time.
Dr. Kariyawasam added that the “dansalas” in the City were generally clean this year compared to the previous years. “The hygiene was better practiced this year as we had a planed program to ensure the safety”. More than 106 dansalas were registered with the CMC this year, he said
Dr. Kariyawasam said the PHIs attached to the CMC visited the Dansalas even on Monday the eve of Vesak Poya. (Daily MIrror online)
Comments - 8
the Tiger Cub Wednesday, 18 May 2011 10:54 AM
THESE ARE JUST TEMPRORY EATING HUTS- VISIT THOSE DAILY EATING HOUSE IN AND AROUND COLOMBO- THEY NEVER GET CAUGHT
Ramesh Wednesday, 18 May 2011 11:25 AM
What is the use of Testing in FEW days? The food would have been consumed and digested. In the worst case, the would have been in hospital. The government should prevent these dansalas giving food to the people.
samosa Wednesday, 18 May 2011 11:29 AM
Praveen Thursday, 19 May 2011 05:19 AM
That is the significance of a dansala..
pam Wednesday, 18 May 2011 12:42 PM
They should have these Dansalas to homeless and homeless shelters with hygienic food daily. It will be blessing and they could eliminate beggars all together.
Fair N Square Wednesday, 18 May 2011 01:31 PM
They dont get caught coz they oil the palms of the so called officers to stay in business.
Black Mamba Wednesday, 18 May 2011 01:45 PM
Quite so. So far we have not heard of people dying of food poisoning after visiting dansalas. The food is usually served hot and the only concern is the water they use.
Ravi Thursday, 19 May 2011 06:34 AM
Very true, and much, much more unclean.....!!
Comments will be edited (grammar, spelling and slang) and authorized at the discretion of Daily Mirror online. The website also has the right not to publish selected comments.