I am afraid of Thilanga because I know his past: Arjuna

2016-01-10 16:15:43

Responding to newly elected SLC president Thilanga Sumathipala’s remarks during a recent media briefing, Ports and Shipping Minister Arjuna Ranatunga said today that he was afraid of Mr. Sumathipala because of his past.

He said there was a court case against him once for taking an underworld boss named Dhammika Amarasinghe with him to the 1999 Cricket World Cup using Cricket Board funds; and a judge of a court had been forced to bail Mr.Sumathipala out after he was remanded over that incident.

“He should have asked himself who he was before pointing fingers at me. When telling him who I am, I should point out that I was not brought up on gambling money. My mother was a teacher and took care of us with the money she earned by doing her job. People still remember what I did for my country. I do not care if one businessman who entered Parliament after being rejected by the people does not remember my services to Sri Lanka. Yes, I lost the SLC election. But I have no regrets because I know that the Sri Lanka Cricket election has been commercialised now,” he said.

Speaking of the allegation by Mr. Sumathipala that he had given jobs at the Sri Lanka Ports Authority (SLPA) to several people during the SLC election campaign, he said the SLPA was not a place where he could give jobs as and when he wished; and added that if he, too, had owned bookmakers, betting centres for horse-racing and a newspaper he might have given jobs to his relatives.

He said he would respond to Mr. Sumathipala's other allegations in court, as he had filed a lawsuit against him. (Piyumi Fonseka)

Video by Danushka

• Be Fair Sunday, 10 January 2016 22:59

Look Capt Cool,I think you just messed up BIG TIME. The "respect" I had for you is now "bowled out". If someone asks me to define hypocrisy, I will just tell "ARJUNA"

Reply : 12       57

TONY Sunday, 10 January 2016 23:41

Reply : 0       36

Ratavasiya Sunday, 10 January 2016 23:44

Politicians should be banned from contesting cricket elections.

Reply : 2       80

Sameer Sunday, 10 January 2016 23:53

We are with you captain cool

Reply : 46       15

TONY Sunday, 10 January 2016 23:59

Reply : 0       52

TONY DE MEL Monday, 11 January 2016 03:06

Reply : 2       60

chathse Monday, 11 January 2016 03:34

Funny! These two people fighting over an embarrassment of a team... None of them have spoken this vigorously about the root cause of the failure of cricket in SL

Reply : 0       38

sdath wijeratne Monday, 11 January 2016 05:20

This man is angry because he could not get into cricket board along with his cheeky brother now Ranathuhga family is disappointed these two fellows cannot give any jobs to their mates in cricket board like the other fellow appointed his brother to his ministry

Reply : 3       38

Premalal Monday, 11 January 2016 05:45

All our politicians have giant sized egos which prevents them moving on after a contested event. This is bad for the country in general and for cricket in this particular case. When will they ever learn?

Reply : 1       32

nalin Monday, 11 January 2016 06:07

we all with you sir.

Reply : 32       9

Ratnapala Monday, 11 January 2016 07:47

What a sore loser captain cool is turning out to be.

Reply : 4       36

sara Monday, 11 January 2016 07:55

Pau wede..meya irisiyawe pelenawa...U are no longer our hero either,U put ur brother as chairman of that u call yahapalanaya.....If u know that that the system is commarcialized y dont u say it now...only when u get defeated...midi ambulai ....nariya keewalu...

Reply : 2       33

Rome Tuan Monday, 11 January 2016 09:41

Well said Sir,Yes I understand you and your genuine yet.I know and these voters are only for money and they do not Love Cricket. We wishing you for a legal solution will be leads for this matter. Yeah, "Business Karayo Wata Karala SLC eka"

Reply : 13       8

Appuhamy Monday, 11 January 2016 10:00

Well said Arjuna, the Cricket Board has become a joke and a paradise to highly corrupted, fraudulent, institution and all the low grade mudalalis like Sumathipalas, Dharmadasas have crept in and some corrupted Ministers are giving a push to them with ulterior motives. If this trend continues before long SL cricket will vanish from the world stage.It is up to the Hon: President and the Hon: P M to intervene and do something constructive to save our cricket.

Reply : 10       13

Satha Monday, 11 January 2016 10:13

Better not to fight and make allegations each other,since the Government has to do more better service to Mother Lanka,and Ministers better pay more attention to the Ministries to uplift the nation,as already Government has to do so many things beyond their capacity.

Reply : 0       17

Premalal Monday, 11 January 2016 11:52

As far as we could see the welfare of the country and the people are the last things in the minds of the politicians.

Reply : 0       13

ANTON Monday, 11 January 2016 10:50

Reply : 0       20

Priyantha Monday, 11 January 2016 10:59

well said- good luck

Reply : 7       2

VT Monday, 11 January 2016 11:36

These days International cricket is business..Business means money. The fight is now for money !!!!!

Reply : 1       9

Sammy Monday, 11 January 2016 12:22

Largely, gangsters, thugs, gamblers and hooligans are in high positions in Sri Lanka and very few decent and cultured people.

Reply : 0       2

Perumal Monday, 11 January 2016 12:46

Verbal War is far inadequate. If you two could engage each other in a pistol draw and kill each other in the process, only then the country would benefit

Reply : 1       9

Lion Monday, 11 January 2016 13:09

What Arjuna said about Thilanga is correct and now Thilanga has to respond

Reply : 2       0

Coconut Republic Monday, 11 January 2016 13:09

Battle of the Maroons is on!

Reply : 1       5

CitizenPerera Monday, 11 January 2016 21:11

In Cricket, the battle of the maroons are a two day affair. This must be the battle of the rowdies that goes on for ever.

Reply : 0       1