Daily Mirror - Print Edition

Suspect arrested with stock of weapons in Dehiwala

15 May 2019 - {{hitsCtrl.values.hits}}      




  • Recovery of weapons in Kuda Oya:



By Darshana Sanjeewa Balasuriya   

Following the recovery of large stock of weapons and ammunition from a plot of land in Uva Kuda-Oya in Wellawaya yesterday, the STF arrested the alleged owner of those weapons from a house at Sri Saranankara Mawatha in Dehiwala.   

The suspect, Mohamed Abdul Wahib, was arrested along with another stock of ammunitions and weapons at his house.   

During the search operation carried out by a STF team led by IP Kanchana Dissnayake of the Organized Crimes Unit and the Kohuwala Police recovered 22 rounds of ammunition of 12 bore gun, 90 shells of 12 bore gun, three rounds of T56 ammunition, several parts of a foreign made pistol, two air rifles, two cans of metal ball bearings, two tool kits used for shot gun cleaning and several unidentified rounds of ammunitions from the suspect’s house.   

The weapons and the suspect were handed over to the Kohuwela Police. They said the suspect would be handed over to the Kuda Oya Police for further investigations.   
Investigations are underway to determine whether the arrested suspect has any involvement with any terrorist organisation or the underworld. According to initial investigations, the suspect has informed the officers that he had collected these weapons and ammunitions as a hobby.   

The Army and the Police on Monday recovered two repeater firearms, two air riffles, two T-56 rifles, four shotguns, two 12-bore weapons, 324 rounds of T-56 ammunition, 163 rounds of 12-bore ammunition and 430 12-bore ammunition, 110 rounds of M16 ammunition, 75 ammunition of 9mm, 169 ammunition of 7mm, 2,773 ammunition of REM, three binoculars, one set of handcuffs, 14 knives, a sword and a GPS tracker from the land at Kuda Oya.   

Meanwhile, investigation revealed that arrested suspect’s son was a former squadron leader of the Air Force. This son had allegedly flown the helicopter, which used to sprinkle the flowers over the funeral procession of the father of underworld gang leader Makandure Madhush.   

The helicopter had been deployed by a private firm in which the suspect’s son was a pilot.   

Sources said that during the questioning, the suspect’s son had reportedly informed the police that he flew the helicopter without knowing about Makandure Madush or the funeral.   
The police had recorded a statement from the son. He had not been taken into custody.