Last Updated : 2019-01-22 16:20:44

Apps Advertising Home Delivery Feedback

Defeated ex-minister attempting to grab my seat: Geetha

29 September 2015 01:59 pm - 5     - {{hitsCtrl.values.hits}}

A A A
UPFA Galle District MP Geetha Kumarasinghe said the dual citizenship allegation was a conspiracy hatched by a former minister who was defeated at the general election in an effort to enter parliament.

She said she contested the general election after relinquishing her Switzerland citizenship.

“I say this with responsibility that I am not a dual citizen of Sri Lanka and Switzerland. I cancelled my dual citizenship before the election,” Ms. Kumarasinghe said.

She said she was the first woman who voluntarily cancelled the Switzerland citizenship which was a huge privilege for me.

“I came to help the people by sacrificing a huge privilege I had. Switzerland is one of the best countries to live in. No one in history has canceled a Swiss citizenship like I have done. I did it despite objections from my husband and daughter. I cried a lot on that day. I even gave up my career as an artiste,” she said.

Ms. Kumarasinghe said she had all the legal documents to prove her cancellation of Switzerland citizenship and that she was 100 per cent sure of securing her MP's post.

“I am the only woman MP in the Southern province who was elected to parliament with 65, 000 preferential votes. I sacrificed all my privileges to help the people. What wrong have I done to face such allegations,” she asked.

Ms. Kumarasinghe said the law was initially introduced to prevent Gotabaya Rajapksa and Basil Rajapaksa contesting the general election and added that she would file a case demanding compensations for the embarrassment caused to her by making false allegations.

She alleged that a certain minister who has Swiss citizenship by marrying a Swiss lady was closely working with the president while she was being harassed.
“Am I being treated like this for supporting former president Mahinda Rajapaksa,” she asked. (Ajith Siriwardana)

• OMG Wednesday, 30 September 2015 05:19 PM

Wolf under sheepskin, if she has done wrong she should face it. no need to pull MR

CitizenPerera Wednesday, 30 September 2015 01:24 AM

Disgracing Geetha and Switzerland is not right when most of the Swiss and UBS offshore bank accounts are the life line to hide black money belonging to our politicians since 1977.

modaya Wednesday, 30 September 2015 05:44 AM

A uneducated women make this sort of statement and you a so-called editor of a leading paper give her the front line story

Premalal Wednesday, 30 September 2015 06:00 AM

We shall soon find out lady.

Don Wednesday, 30 September 2015 06:19 AM

Actress in action ! Lol

Reply To:

Name - Reply Comment

Wahhabism and radicalization of local Muslims Fix it For Good

Intelligence-driven kinetic means can only do so much. The acid test would be

Rs.190 Million worth of Priorities ?

‘A supplementary budget of 190 million rupees for two bulletproof vehicles

Refugees become refugees again in Sri Lanka

There was a collective anguish over helplessness and isolation inside the gar

Anti – Terrorist Action Must Not Become a Witch Hunt Against Sri Lankan Muslims