At least eight people were hospitalised last night after they fell ill following a dinner party held in the Oak room at Cinnamon Grand Hotel in Colombo organised by the Sri Lanka UK society to celebrate British Queen’s birth day, informed sources said.
The sources said they had obtained beverages, liquor and starters from outside and that a mushroom starter may have lead to a food poisoning.
When contacted Police spokesman Ruwan Gunasekara, he said they were admitted to two private Hospitals and were out of danger and that some of them had left the hospital after treatment.
ASP Gunasekara said food samples and samples of liquor used in the function were taken by the Public Health Inspectors (PHIs) to be sent to the Government Annalist.
He said police together with the Colombo Municipal Council (CMC) were investigating into the incident.
Comments - 23
kandykolla Monday, 15 June 2015 04:24 AM
You have to put a much better effort to get a complimetary meal the this hotel.......
Insider Sunday, 14 June 2015 01:24 PM
How come these Hotels allow food or drinks to be brought from outside ???? That is against Hotel Policies !!!!!
kandykolla Saturday, 13 June 2015 09:23 AM
A 5 star bug....!!
ANTON Saturday, 13 June 2015 09:48 AM
IT IS A STAR CLASS STOMACHACHE. ....... PATIENTS MIGHT NEED STAR CLASS TREATMENTS.
MSMH2 Saturday, 13 June 2015 10:34 AM
There were huge rats in their kitchen when it used to be the Lanka Oberoi many years ago.
Cheers Saturday, 13 June 2015 11:12 AM
May be a alchol allergy as our people can really drink
Simple Simon Saturday, 13 June 2015 11:38 AM
So the cause of the outbreak is suspected to be an outside source. Why would you name and shame the hotel then?
Hiran Gunawardena Saturday, 13 June 2015 11:41 AM
Look like some miserable bunch? got nothing else to do other than celebrate Britains biggest benefit scroungers birthday. You can imagine colonial back bending mentality of these people. These sort of people will Willling to lick anything white
Lawry Saturday, 13 June 2015 11:43 AM
Any political rats seen there in the kitchen recently? Or was it an international conspiracy?
james stone Sunday, 14 June 2015 05:45 PM
people need to understand that the part about food being brought from outside is a cover up by cinnamon grand, the hotel catered this event 100% and no 5 star hotel including cinnamon grand ever allows guest to bring food from outside,
God Save Our Queen Saturday, 13 June 2015 11:45 AM
Queens Bug!!!!Would have given this money to less fortunate people or a Charity for a worthy cause.
tilak Sunday, 14 June 2015 05:49 PM
if They HAVE ENOUGH MONEY TO SPENT DINNER CELEBRATING QUEEN SHE IS ENGLAND AND NO BLOOD RELATIONS OF THIS PEOPLE WE CAN SEE THE THINKING OF PEOPLE AND WE TALKING ABOUT FREEDOM ETC.
Dayawathie Saturday, 13 June 2015 08:22 PM
Reminds me of how Lee Kwan Yu got sick while travelling in the first class train to Nuwara Eliya. He was not impressed.
Liswom Saturday, 13 June 2015 08:35 PM
I wonder whether we are still a British colony.
lilian Saturday, 13 June 2015 11:56 AM
i was here for this incident after having the starter 1 person collapsed straight after this around 15-20 fainted , 8 people were rushed to 2 different hospital which is what daily mirror has accounted for but several more were taken to other hospitals. the hotel staff and especially the general manager were very poor in handling this situation all they cared about was clearing their name by sending hotel representatives to the hospital to sort it out with the doctor and put a lenient police entry cinnamon grand must be held fully accounted for this incident and must thank the stars no one had more serious problems as many 60-70 year old people with diabetes and various other illnesses collapsing is no joke
N. Bandara Saturday, 13 June 2015 12:00 PM
The CMC used to check hotels and take the food and water samples in the past and check at their laboratory. But the present Chief Medical Officer has stopped it saying that it is not necessary. To check samples after something has happened is like closing the stables after the horse has bolted.
Sharon Monday, 15 June 2015 10:11 AM
Hats of to you Hiran. You are spot on
Srilankan Saturday, 13 June 2015 12:02 PM
they may celebrate the queens B-day but SL hotels are not like the Hotels in UK
ANTON Saturday, 13 June 2015 12:43 PM
BUT ..... BUT ...... THEY ARE STAR CLASS RATS .........
Ruvin Saturday, 13 June 2015 10:33 PM
I have been dining at Cinnamon Grand for years and years and I have never come across any incident of this nature. In fact it has always been brilliant. I fail to understand how this can happen to them as I know their standards are very very high. They run a very good show over there. Always have been.
Sri Lankan Sunday, 14 June 2015 05:22 AM
Oberai was fond of big rats!!!
gOB Sunday, 14 June 2015 07:53 AM
UK Society had tried to save some money by bringing some cheap food from outside....and now the Hotel is reputation is tarnished, Hotel should sue this whatever Society. shame..
shanti rasiah Thursday, 18 June 2015 04:05 PM
I was one of the victims at the Cinnamon grand poisonepisode and blame the hotel fully for serving contaminated food. They are trying to make excuses and keep theirreputation but we had the starter which was the reasonfor the collapsing of people. Disgraceful and if it had happened abroad the hotel would have been sued byall the guests which is exactly what we should have done.Not even a word of apology from the hotel only excuses.Must be a filthy kitchen serving stale old food.My earlier comment was not published may be due tothe influence of cinnamon grand.
Comments will be edited (grammar, spelling and slang) and authorized at the discretion of Daily Mirror online. The website also has the right not to publish selected comments.