Responding to last week’s statement by Duminda Silva’s family, former presidential adviser Bharatha Lakshman Premachandra’s brother Asela Premachandra, who is domiciled in Canada, has sent the following email.
These are some excerpts:
“Latest news about the deceitful health condition of Duminda Silva is that he has been re-admitted to the Navaloka Hospital due to his so-called negative health condition, just 24 hours after the news report that Hirunika is planning to go to courts to get Duminda’s bail revoked on the grounds that courts were misled at Duminda’s bail hearing with regard to his health condition. So it is another day, another move by Duminda Silva, another blatant insult to the commonsense of every Sri Lankan living in and out of Sri Lanka. According to the so-called well researched statement issued by Duminda Silva’s family what transpired on April 28 was a spontaneous reaction by his supporters with sheer exuberance to the news that Duminda Silva has been discharged from the Navaloka Hospital that day. They probably completely forgot to include the following facts.
* 24 hours after Duminda Silva was given bail due to his so-called poor health condition, it was reported that Duminda was suddenly well enough to leave the hospital and that he would be discharged on the same day.
* Thousands of SMSs were sent asking people to come and greet Duminda.
* People were given free transport, food and beverages provided with Duminda’ pictures, banners and fire crackers.
* There was absolutely no effort made to minimize public contact with Duminda. Contrary to that he was freely and enthusiastically moving among his supporters and giving media interviews about where he is going to stop first and about resuming his political activities in Kolonnawa.
* After being blessed by the President and the defense secretary he met senior police officers and others at his residence all day long while also giving more media interviews.
In their so-called well researched article the family said that having seen the video clips (of Duminada’s departure from the Navaloka Hospital), the Mount Elizabeth Hospital doctors had informed the family of their serious concerns, yet Duminda had no problem touring the Kolonnawa electorate over the same weekend greeting his supporters amid the sound and sight of a large amount of fire crackers and pyrotechnic displays while inhaling burning sulfur and large amounts of other harmful chemicals exposing himself to an unhealthy environment. In that statement, several more things were mentioned but they completely failed to establish any evidence to collaborate Duminda’s behavior after being discharged from Navaloka Hospital in the face of the legal argument they brought forward to get bail for Duminda on the grounds of his so-called “sensitive and poor health conditions,” which requires his family’s undivided attention.
Related link :