Thu, 30 Mar 2023 Today's Paper

Over 1000 students in Gampola hospitalized

14 November 2012 05:55 am - 23     - {{hitsCtrl.values.hits}}


Over 1000 students in Gampola Jinaraja Balika Vidyalaya were hospitalized this morning, as a result of an alleged allergic reaction.

The students had complained of nausea and skin irritation and had been immediately hospitalized after their condition turned severe. Gampola Hospital Director Sarath Weerabandara said they suspect the allergic reaction could have been caused by a chemical pollution in the area.

It is said over 2000 students were present at school today.

The school has been closed for two days until the cleansing and fumigation of the school premises are completed. (Suranga Rajanayake)


  Comments - 23

  • MAN Wednesday, 14 November 2012 07:45 AM


    Shane Friday, 16 November 2012 08:54 AM

    Donkeys like YOU should be nailed to the cross!

    Shane Friday, 16 November 2012 08:51 AM

    I can't understand why my comment was never published! Guess more PRIORITY is given to religious discrimination!

    KithSiri Thursday, 15 November 2012 12:07 AM

    Before coming to conclusions and pointing a finger at Asbestos it is better to analyse the dust using a micro filter then microscopic analysis will prove whether it is Asbestos. This is the first Asbestos allergy reported ? If Asbestos is allergic then most probably Talc Powder would also be allergic.

    Christianity rules Wednesday, 14 November 2012 05:05 PM

    Sad what's happening to this te hands of the Buddhist

    ANTON Wednesday, 14 November 2012 04:40 PM

    Manufacture of asbestos products are legalized in srilanka. We will have to sue the gosl first.

    Roy Wednesday, 14 November 2012 02:07 PM

    In UK asbestos is considered as a serious matter. Even if traces of asbestos artex is found in your dwelling, you will be told to remove it.

    akmal Wednesday, 14 November 2012 09:16 AM

    i am afraid this moment

    sunnyboy Wednesday, 14 November 2012 08:45 AM

    Asbestos is banned in most countries in the world due to health hazards...but widely sold in Sri lanka.

    mamath Wednesday, 14 November 2012 08:19 AM

    Finance Minister did not promise THIS in the budget..

    malkanthi Wednesday, 14 November 2012 08:09 AM

    Yes but only when asbestos are disturbed, the tiny fibers are released into the air. When they are breathed in, it will even lead to serious lung problems.

    Willie Wednesday, 14 November 2012 07:57 AM

    Once a person has inhaled (or swallowed) asbestos dust the fibres will remain in the body for many years because they are so durable. The tiny asbestos fibres can then penetrate the tissues of the body and lead to the development of one of a number of asbestos related diseases. Many asbestos-related illnesses take years to develop (in some cases up to fifty years).

    It is not only people who have worked with asbestos that can be at risk. Even low levels of exposure can trigger disease. Family members of asbestos workers are at risk because of the asbestos fibres brought into the home on the worker's clothing.

    This is content on the subject from a reputed Web site on this subject. If the cause of the problem is due to asbestos these children and those living around that area will be at risk. It's time the state took action to educate the oublic on this matter.

    zeylanicus Wednesday, 14 November 2012 06:25 AM

    I wonder whether the students took part in any meeting, where politicians too were present .....

    saeedh Wednesday, 14 November 2012 07:45 AM

    Contractor is someone's brother :p lol

    willows Wednesday, 14 November 2012 07:37 AM

    Asbestos is one of the deadly materials, but unfortunately we sri lankans have no choice???

    bandara Wednesday, 14 November 2012 07:26 AM

    why only the contractor, hold the consultant who specified this material

    RS Wednesday, 14 November 2012 07:20 AM

    If it has affected 1000 students. It is not an allergic reaction!!
    Trying to play down the incident, the contractor should be held responsible.

    Parakramabahu Wednesday, 14 November 2012 07:06 AM

    No global manufacturer will set up factories in Sri Lanka due to this Asbestos threat. Why not ban it for all and for the country?

    OMG Wednesday, 14 November 2012 07:03 AM

    This time we know the hidden hand which is asbestos.

    So no need for the valued comment from Wimal.

    J.D Wednesday, 14 November 2012 06:58 AM

    Dear Students get well soon...

    Punish the contractor who is responsible for installing cheap asbestos......

    Pawlpakse Wednesday, 14 November 2012 06:57 AM

    Sue the contractor or the building owner.

    sisira_k Wednesday, 14 November 2012 06:48 AM

    Our country doesn't know the dangers of these Asbestos fibers, Handling Asbestos within a school premisses or at-least near a school during school time should be banned, in the first place, and then take actions to ban these hazzardoes materials within Sri Lanka as the second step.

    Fazli Wednesday, 14 November 2012 06:38 AM

    we must henceforth ensure at least basic minimum health condition where people gether in numbers such as schools, sports events & religious places otherwise this could turn desastrous.

Add comment

Comments will be edited (grammar, spelling and slang) and authorized at the discretion of Daily Mirror online. The website also has the right not to publish selected comments.

Reply To:

Name - Reply Comment

Import of South Indian eggs: Sri Lanka walks on Indian eggshells

With the increase in egg prices the government decided to import eggs to regu

Wokeism: Is it destructive, or are you afraid of change? A response

In order to critically discuss a movement, we must first understand its etymo

Defeat in Ananthapuram Battle denoted the LTTE’s end

Many battles were fought during the long war between the Sri Lankan armed for

Wokeism: A Weapon of Mass Destruction?

When can one say they’ve had enough of being in a state of ‘wokeness’ a