A fire that broke out in a star class hotel in Beruwala was doused by hotel employees using emergency fire equipment installed in the building.
President Mahinda Rajapaksa had been in another building of the hotel to sign as the attesting witness of a marriage. However, the President had left after the registration of the marriage when the fire broke out. Police said they believed an electrical short circuit might had triggered the fire but the exact reason was yet to be established after the Government Analyst carries out investigations. (Sunil Thanthriarachchi)