The Army is investigating allegations made by the international media that a Sri Lankan soldier posted in Haiti had raped an 18-year-old woman
“We have launched a separate investigation into the incident, the United Nations is also investigating it and action will be taken if the officer is found guilty,” Military Spokesman, Brigadier Ruwan Wanigasooriya told Daily Mirror Online.
Earlier the international media in an e-mailed report said the UN was aware about allegations made against a military staff member and that a preliminary investigation had been launched to determine the facts of the case.
International media reports said: “According to Metropole Haiti, the alleged assault occurred off National Highway #2 on Saturday when an 18-year old woman was approached by a Sri Lankan UN military officer. A Justice of the Peace, conducting a preliminary investigation, visited the site of the alleged assault on Sunday and found a used condom. Further tests are being conducted, according to the report. The accused has been moved to a different MINUSTAH base in another part of the country as the investigation unfolds. As of July 30, Sri Lanka had over 860 troops stationed in Haiti, making it the third largest troop contributing country to the 9 year-old mission.”