Pilot didn’t lose control of his aircraft: SriLankan

2014-01-03 11:19:50

A SriLankan airline flight from Colombo to London on January 1 was forced to return to the Bandaranaike International Air Port (BIA) some 45 minutes after the take-off when the cockpit crew observed a crack on one of the windshields.

At no point did the captain lose control or did the plane go into a nosedive, the airline said in a statement.
“In the interest of the safety of passengers and the aircraft, the pilots decided to return to Colombo for the replacement of the windshield.”

The full statement

With reference to a media report on a SriLankan flight allegedly making a nosedive, SriLankan Airlines wishes to clarify that at no point did the captain of the flight lose control of the flight or it experienced a nosedive.

On 1st of January at 1435hrs SriLankan flight UL 503 departed Colombo, for London Heathrow Airport. Approximately 45 minutes after the take-off, the cockpit crew observed a crack in the windshield.  The windshield of the aircraft has three layers of glass and it was the centre-layer which had developed the crack.

 As per the manufacturers’ recommended procedure the pilots descended the aircraft to 10,000ft as a precautionary measure to minimize the differential pressure on the windshield. Therefore, in the interest of the passengers’ safety and the aircraft, the pilots decided to return to Colombo for the replacement of the windshield.

Accordingly, the flight UL 503 returned to Bandaranaike International Airport at 1630hrs without incident.  SriLankan wishes to emphasise that it is the standard procedure for any airline to descend to 10, 000 ft to prevent the differential pressure on the windshield and at no stage the aircraft or the passengers’ safety was compromised.

Currently the investigations are underway to identify the exact reasons in order to prevent incidents of similar nature. SriLankan wishes to reiterate that the Airline always maintains the highest safety standards the industry requires, and considers the well-being of the passengers its foremost priority which under no circumstance will be compromised.

  Comments - 12

  • Thomas Friday, 3 January 2014 13:58

    An intelligent move by the Pilot be appreciated

    Reply : 1       4

    Suq Madique Friday, 3 January 2014 14:52

    Could it be the 'Mattala' effect?

    Reply : 2       2

    Suq Madique Friday, 3 January 2014 14:59

    Possibly the after-effects of landing at Mattala?

    Reply : 2       2

    milindha morahela Saturday, 4 January 2014 02:16

    Come on DM Please mention the name of the Captain who did this great job .So that the public will know who he is and he will be commended by name by the public.We have a right to know.
    You name and publish photos of the OIC s wife quiet rightly who was behind the Heroine issue but when a good deed is done his identity is withheld,For what?
    This is like not mentioning the name of the Captain who won the Game for Sri Lanka.
    So much for Free Media.???

    Reply : 0       3

    Mm Saturday, 4 January 2014 02:35

    Then y did the oxygen masks drop down mr. Pilot?

    Reply : 2       0

    Jagath Leanage Saturday, 4 January 2014 02:51

    No wonder why this happened. Friends and relatives are in Air Lanka administration and would have earned huge commission when purchasing air crafts and these planes defenetely ill fated or not functioning properly.

    Reply : 3       1

    Nihal Amarasekera Saturday, 4 January 2014 05:00

    Better not talk nonsense just because we "hate" a government.

    Reply : 2       2

    saman Saturday, 4 January 2014 06:30

    Why can't we make the youngest son the pilot?? or ask him to investigate and buy 10 more aircraft's

    Reply : 1       1

    merc Saturday, 4 January 2014 10:50

    please publicly name the pilot and hats off to them by gods grace

    Reply : 0       4

    Sandun Saturday, 4 January 2014 10:51

    I was in that flight and I can't believe that Sri Lankan Airlines made a statement informing that passengers’ safety was not compromised. The flight was initially scheduled to take off at 1305 hrs and was delayed till 1435 hrs, and I saw them repairing the windscreen while boarding the aircraft.
    Someone must have approved that it was safe to fly to London after repairs when it was clearly not. I am disappointed to note that the initial repairs were not mentioned in their statement so that the readers can make a better decision before flying Sri Lankan again.
    However I must admit that the young Sri Lankan captain did a great job in bringing the flight back to Colombo safely. Sorry I can't remember his name but I'm very grateful for the excellent job he did.

    Reply : 0       5

    shabeer shiyam Monday, 6 January 2014 06:46

    the captains name is udayanga stephen youngest Sri Lankan pilot to be promoted to captain at the age of 29

    Reply : 0       0

    investigator Monday, 6 January 2014 06:42

    only engine lost control.ha ha ha.children like to hear this kind of nice stories.

    Reply : 0       0

Add comment

Comments will be edited (grammar, spelling and slang) and authorized at the discretion of Daily Mirror online. The website also has the right not to publish selected comments.
Name is required

Email is required
Comment cannot be empty