R.I.T. Alles passes away

2013-11-28 15:50:36
11902

Educationist and the Founder principal of D.S Senanayake College R.I. T. Alles passed away a few hours ago at a private hospital in Colombo at the age of 81 following a brief illness, the government information Department said.

Mr. Alles served as the State Secretary for Ministry of Education from 1989 to 1993 and was the Chairman of the Gateway Group till his death and he is the beloved husband of Rohini Alles, and father of Tiran and Harsha Alles.

Funeral arrangements will be notified later.

• Chugum Thursday, 28 November 2013 16:14

No comment. Silence is golden.

Reply : 1       0

Fayad Friday, 29 November 2013 10:27

Great human being the nation have lost ! RIP

Sirisena Friday, 29 November 2013 13:05

Great human being the nation have lost ! RIT

Asith Danthanarayana Thursday, 28 November 2013 16:45

True father of nation who has done an immense service for the country. RIP sir.

Reply : 0       2

Sandun Senanayake Thursday, 28 November 2013 17:01

Our Beloved Alles Sir,
    May you attain The Supreme Bliss Of Nibbana !!!

Reply : 0       3

Bhanuka Senarath Thursday, 28 November 2013 17:02

You are like our father. Our friend. We miss you sir.

Reply : 0       2

Bennette Fernando Thursday, 28 November 2013 17:02

Our Sympathies...Children of Late Mr.M.A. Fernando - Principal, Bennette Commercial College, Galle & Mount Lavinia and Mrs .Susima Fernando............Bennette (Canada), Sunethra (Australia), Sepali (Canada), Nihal (Canada), Lal (Sri Lanka), Ramani (Canada), Indira (Canada), Deepal (Australia), Himadri (Australia) and Asangee (Canada)

Reply : 1       2

durang Thursday, 28 November 2013 17:30

Dear R.I.T, may you R.I.P.

Reply : 1       0

Man Jay Thursday, 28 November 2013 18:41

Thanks for everything our beloved sir.

Reply : 0       1

sammodha caldera Thursday, 28 November 2013 19:37

A legend & you will be remembered by generations to come!
    What we learnt from you is practiced and passed on & on....May you attain nirvana..Sir!

Nadula Thursday, 28 November 2013 20:15

Rest in peace loving sir. May you attain nibbana. You will be remembered for ever for the fatherly love you showed us when we are at DS many decades a go.

Reply : 0       1

John Fernando Thursday, 28 November 2013 22:49

Hi,
    May Mr Alles's soul rest in peace. I owe him a huge debt of gratitude. I left Sri Lanka in 1979 whilst just 11 years old. He was my school principal at D.S. He came to our house before we left and gave me this advice: "Son, make sure you uphold the honour and good name of Sri Lanka in all that you do in life. Never forget your country. Make us and our country proud forever."
    I have lived overseas (Dubai, USA and Australia) for the past 35 years and now hold a senior position in government and media. I have also played elite rugby and cricket in these countries and always endeavour to uphold the dignity and honour of our beautiful motherland, which has given us so much in life.
    Thank you Mr. Alles and may your soul rest in peace. You are a true gem of a human being and a true gentleman of the highest order. John Prasantha Fernando
    johnfdo1@yahoo.com.au

Reply : 0       8

leena Friday, 29 November 2013 04:54

John is educated, well traveled yet naive enough to leave his personal information and email for spam use. Thank you

Reply : 0       2

nalaka Friday, 29 November 2013 06:27

Dear John please dont put your email on public forums like this. you may get spamed

Reply : 0       1

Faiz Friday, 29 November 2013 00:00

R.I.P Mr. Alles. I still remember his favorite line. "Country Before Self" via DM iPad app

Pushpaka Friday, 29 November 2013 00:01

Great to be a pupil of his era at DS. Very inspirational mentor.

Reply : 0       1

Cobra Friday, 29 November 2013 01:32

We will miss this icon of education. May he rest in peace!

Reply : 0       1

Dr P G Coralage Friday, 29 November 2013 01:54

WHEN JOINED WE WERE IN MUTUAL RESPECT,UNDERSTANDING & LOVE.AND SO WE DID REMAIN TILL PROTECT BY KAMMA. IN HOPES TO MEET AGAIN..... A BRAVE ACCOMPLISHED DEVOTED & AFFECTIONATE FATHER OF ' DS COMUNITY"...............DEAR SIR,MAY YOU ATTAIN NIRVANA

Reply : 0       1

arulanandam Friday, 29 November 2013 02:06

I still remember the way he handled and took English for us in 1st Form in Royal College in 1963. Mostly wore full white. Rest in peace sir.

Reply : 0       2

sanjaya dias Friday, 29 November 2013 02:08

Beloved Sir, may attain Nibbana

OMG Friday, 29 November 2013 02:12

RIP Dear RIT

Jayantha Jayamanne Friday, 29 November 2013 02:36

Our deepest sympathies to the family of Mr. Alles, the great Legend. We miss him a lot.

Mohandas Thangarajah Friday, 29 November 2013 03:12

Thank you for all you did in the brief time that i was a student in your school. You were the best.

Ruchira Saranapala Friday, 29 November 2013 03:24

We are so grateful to you Sir , for teaching us the values of Humanity, wisdom, and the Discipline ! May you attain Nibbana !

Reply : 0       1

Rumi Friday, 29 November 2013 03:28

Mr.Alles who served as the director of education of Zahira College , Colombo in 1983 to 1987 . Our salute to him and condolence to his family .

Danushka Friday, 29 November 2013 03:30

RIP sir, the legend to be remember, who had taught and guide students to be great citizens in this country. "Country Before Self"

milinda Friday, 29 November 2013 03:37

He was agreat mentor, Sir If not for you there wud have been no school as DS!
    May you attain the supreme bliss of nibbana!

Roshan Friday, 29 November 2013 04:54

And also the first Principal to have Securtiy at the gate at Zahira College, where earlier student used to cut classes through the Mosque entrance.

Ashen Friday, 29 November 2013 04:29

පුංචි කලේ අපි පාසලට එද්දි රත්තරන් පුතේ කියල අමතපු අපේ ගුරුතුමා...අද සදහටම අපෙන් සමුගෙන...ගුරුතුමනි...ඔබ අප හට කියා දුන් දේ බොහොය...අර්‍.අයි.ට්.අලස් ගුරුතුමනි ඔබට අජරාමර නිවන් සුව පතන්නෙමු!

Reply : 0       2

Ranjith Gura Friday, 29 November 2013 04:44

May you attain supreme bliss of Nirvana

MIMI Friday, 29 November 2013 05:03

A great teacher and human being !

JANAKA JAYAWEERA Friday, 29 November 2013 05:22

A great leader , teacher & a mentor The unique culture that he innovated IN D.S.Senanayake collange will last long for many more generations..May He rest is Peace.- Janaka Jayaweera

Reply : 0       1

ABC Friday, 29 November 2013 05:45

True son of the nation who served without any bias to any race or religion

PAsokaM Friday, 29 November 2013 05:58

A great son of the nation. You may attain Nibbana.

mahen Friday, 29 November 2013 05:59

Mr. Alles's life is a great example for everybody, that to serve this country and to gain respect from public no need to be a politician.

Reply : 0       1

Sand Friday, 29 November 2013 06:00

R.I.P Sir.... your a great human being for whole world.

Agasthi Ranasinghe Friday, 29 November 2013 06:49

Year: 1967, Place: Colombo 7
    167 students+
    5 teachers+
    1 principal+
    2-3 minor staff+
    10 classrooms+
    2 bathrooms=
    Birth of DSSC

I am glad that I became part of the statistics that can never be changed.

R.I.P. dear father of DSSC!

Reply : 0       3

gladwin Friday, 29 November 2013 07:21

Rest in peace loving sir, you will be remembered as a great educationist and a pround son of lanka, a grateful nation would hold you in the highest esteem.

nethmini Friday, 29 November 2013 09:33

thank you sir for giving us a school like gateway you will be in our memories for ever
    dear sir may you attain nibbana

Snowdon Asange Friday, 29 November 2013 11:11

Today I drop my head down not in sadness but as a respect to a GREAT HUMAN BEING. A strict disciplinarian YES you were Sir, We were so fearful of Cane A,B and C that you would ask Premaratne (the peon at the time) to bring from your office to discipline us. You taught us Maths and English you were jovial when it mattered but discipline always was maintained... It was a pleasure to have been guided by u Sir... and your coining of " Country Before Self" taught us to be selfless and care for the next person. Like John Fernando. I've lived IN INDIA, USA, CANADA, Japan, and Thailand where people admired my ethics that you taught us. A loss to SL and to those who crossed paths in this life...May u join your beloved son Malik whom u lost early in life and May u both rest in peace...

Prof. Rohan Jayasing Saturday, 30 November 2013 10:27

I am forever grateful to Alles Sir for creating and developing the school that educated me. When i left Sri Lanka in 1991 on a scholarship to study medicine in Sydney, Australia you advised me to be true to "Sri Lankan values" and write to my parents at least once a week (before the days of Skype)...I obeyed these instructions to the letter. You are undoubtedly a National Hero! Your service to our nation and to the world beyond its shores will never be forgotten.
    Professor Rohan Jayasinghe

Jehan Sheriffdeen Saturday, 30 November 2013 17:17

He was my principal at DSSC and he was very fond of me. Knew me by name and was an amazing human being. Sadly not in Sri Lanka to go pay my respect. He could motivate anyone and could get anything done. Nothing but fond memories of my time with Alles Sir. May you attain Nibbana. Thank you sir for all the love and affection and guidance you gave me. THANK YOU SIR.

Clement Gajasinghe Sunday, 1 December 2013 02:58

DS was not my only school.I have been through many schools before I finally ended up at DS for my Advanced Level.(Grade 13A -1979)Therefore, I believe,I am fairly qualified to make the following statement.
    DS was the last and the best school I ever attended ,which I can proudly call MY school. Without elaboration,an experience beyond imagination DS opened the doors to the world for me.
    I am eternally grateful..

Mr.Alles,farewell sir,you have earned your rest well..

World,be still....A great man has passed.

devni gateway Sunday, 1 December 2013 07:02

Dear R.I.T Alles sir we all gateway students thanks you so much for everything you gave us.RIP sir.

Name is required