Last Updated : 22-09-2014 17:25

 

 
 

Over 1000 students in Gampola hospitalized

E-mail Print
Over 1000 students in Gampola Jinaraja Balika Vidyalaya were hospitalized this morning, as a result of an alleged allergic reaction.

The students had complained of nausea and skin irritation and had been immediately hospitalized after their condition turned severe. Gampola Hospital Director Sarath Weerabandara said they suspect the allergic reaction could have been caused by a chemical pollution in the area.

It is said over 2000 students were present at school today.

The school has been closed for two days until the cleansing and fumigation of the school premises are completed. (Suranga Rajanayake)



 



 
 

Views : 9179
 
SocialTwist Tell-a-Friend


Comments 

 
-31+30 # zeylanicus 2012-11-14 11:55
I wonder whether the students took part in any meeting, where politicians too were present .....
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
 
 
-2+53 # Fazli 2012-11-14 12:08
we must henceforth ensure at least basic minimum health condition where people gether in numbers such as schools, sports events & religious places otherwise this could turn desastrous.
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
 
 
-6+64 # sisira_k 2012-11-14 12:18
Our country doesn't know the dangers of these Asbestos fibers, Handling Asbestos within a school premisses or at-least near a school during school time should be banned, in the first place, and then take actions to ban these hazzardoes materials within Sri Lanka as the second step.
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
 
 
-4+18 # malkanthi 2012-11-14 13:39
Yes but only when asbestos are disturbed, the tiny fibers are released into the air. When they are breathed in, it will even lead to serious lung problems.
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
 
 
-0+23 # Pawlpakse 2012-11-14 12:27
Sue the contractor or the building owner.
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
 
 
-1+2 # ANTON 2012-11-14 22:10
Manufacture of asbestos products are legalized in srilanka. We will have to sue the gosl first.
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
 
 
-3+25 # J.D 2012-11-14 12:28
Dear Students get well soon...

Punish the contractor who is responsible for installing cheap asbestos......
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
 
 
-4+11 # OMG 2012-11-14 12:33
This time we know the hidden hand which is asbestos.

So no need for the valued comment from Wimal.
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
 
 
-5+11 # Parakramabahu 2012-11-14 12:36
No global manufacturer will set up factories in Sri Lanka due to this Asbestos threat. Why not ban it for all and for the country?
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
 
 
-2+14 # RS 2012-11-14 12:50
If it has affected 1000 students. It is not an allergic reaction!!
Trying to play down the incident, the contractor should be held responsible.
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
 
 
-2+13 # bandara 2012-11-14 12:56
why only the contractor, hold the consultant who specified this material
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
 
 
-3+7 # willows 2012-11-14 13:07
Asbestos is one of the deadly materials, but unfortunately we sri lankans have no choice???
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
 
 
-1+7 # MAN 2012-11-14 13:15
IN SUCH A CASE THE ENTIRE AREA HAVE TO BE REMARKED AS HIGH SECURITY ZONE OR STOP THE CONSTRUCTION IMMEDIATELY UNTIL A CONCRETE SOLUTION IS FOUND. ASHRAFF NAZIM
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
 
 
-1+2 # saeedh 2012-11-14 13:15
Contractor is someone's brother :p lol
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
 
 
-3+16 # Willie 2012-11-14 13:27
Once a person has inhaled (or swallowed) asbestos dust the fibres will remain in the body for many years because they are so durable. The tiny asbestos fibres can then penetrate the tissues of the body and lead to the development of one of a number of asbestos related diseases. Many asbestos-related illnesses take years to develop (in some cases up to fifty years).

It is not only people who have worked with asbestos that can be at risk. Even low levels of exposure can trigger disease. Family members of asbestos workers are at risk because of the asbestos fibres brought into the home on the worker's clothing.

This is content on the subject from a reputed Web site on this subject. If the cause of the problem is due to asbestos these children and those living around that area will be at risk. It's time the state took action to educate the oublic on this matter.
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
 
 
-1+2 # KithSiri 2012-11-15 05:37
Before coming to conclusions and pointing a finger at Asbestos it is better to analyse the dust using a micro filter then microscopic analysis will prove whether it is Asbestos. This is the first Asbestos allergy reported ? If Asbestos is allergic then most probably Talc Powder would also be allergic.
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
 
 
-1+3 # mamath 2012-11-14 13:49
Finance Minister did not promise THIS in the budget..
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
 
 
-2+14 # sunnyboy 2012-11-14 14:15
Asbestos is banned in most countries in the world due to health hazards...but widely sold in Sri lanka.
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
 
 
-0+3 # akmal 2012-11-14 14:46
i am afraid this moment
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
 
 
-1+7 # Roy 2012-11-14 19:37
In UK asbestos is considered as a serious matter. Even if traces of asbestos artex is found in your dwelling, you will be told to remove it.
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
 
 
-12+5 # Christianity rules 2012-11-14 22:35
Sad what's happening to this country..in te hands of the Buddhist
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
 
 
-1+0 # Shane 2012-11-16 14:24
Donkeys like YOU should be nailed to the cross!
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
 
 
-0+0 # Shane 2012-11-16 14:21
I can't understand why my comment was never published! Guess more PRIORITY is given to religious discrimination!
Reply | Reply with quote | Quote
 

Add comment


Security code
Refresh

Video: Tree falls on injuring three
Harin breaks record
We won but....
Uva PC polls
Video: Tree falls on injuring three
Harin breaks record
We won but....
Uva PC polls