Decision on wage hike should be put forward in parliament

2012-02-18 13:15:21

The Public Administration Ministry said that a decision to increase salaries following the fuel price hikes which had resulted in the rapid increase in the cost of living would be a decision that would have to be put forward in parliament.
Ministry sources said that although unions had demanded for a wage hike it was difficult to determine if a wage increase would be made available to the public sector.

Meanwhile the Labour Ministry said that an increase in private sector salaries would have to be put forward to the National Labour Advisory Council and that a decision would be made accordingly.

Despite strong demands by unions to increase private sector salaries, Secretary Upali Wijeyweera said that no such demand had been made so far. He said the ministry had not received a request to increase wages from any of the unions.
Unions are demanding for a Rs.10,000 wage hike for public sector employees and 40 per cent increase in salaries for private sector employees to ease their burden from the increase in the price of goods. (Olindhi Jayasundere)

  Comments - 7

  • Rajiv Saturday, 18 February 2012 19:16

    Oh no. You don't have to. We are being paid enough!!!!!! We really don't know what to do with all the money we have.

    Reply : 0       3

    # terran Jayasooriya Saturday, 18 February 2012 20:40

    Fo that the parliment. Not for any price hikes. Jokes by Jokers !

    Reply : 0       1

    Athula Saturday, 18 February 2012 23:47

    Pensioners are also waiting for salary increasing.

    Reply : 0       2

    nipuna seneviratne Sunday, 19 February 2012 07:42

    I am sure all MP's Ministers and all of their clan will get a substantial increase and the rest of public servants and company employees get a penny only....

    Reply : 0       2

    Nodrog Sunday, 19 February 2012 10:38

    So ultimately it's the private sector and self-employed who will bear the brunt of the increases.

    Reply : 0       0

    Meera Sunday, 19 February 2012 12:37

    only for Govt. employees!

    Reply : 0       0

    Calistus Jayatilleke Sunday, 19 February 2012 14:31

    When it comes to granting relief such as salary increases to workers, there are lot of formalities to be followed but when it comes to hitting them with price increases, only a gazette notification would do.

    Reply : 0       0

Add comment

Comments will be edited (grammar, spelling and slang) and authorized at the discretion of Daily Mirror online. The website also has the right not to publish selected comments.
Name is required

Email is required
Comment cannot be empty