Last Updated : 2019-01-22 16:20:44

Apps Advertising Home Delivery Feedback

Theft at Trinco Navy Holiday Bungalow

2 February 2018 07:46 am - 27     - {{hitsCtrl.values.hits}}

A A A

A group of 19 locals and Sri Lankan Canadians have been stolen of cash and jewellery while on holiday at the heavily fortified - Command Headquarters- Eastern Naval Area, Trincomalee, on Tuesday night, the Daily Mirror learns.

The rogues had broken into the Bungalow located within the premises at which 19 persons including 11 females were staying. Initial observations of the group had revealed stolen cash and jewellery amounting to over 300,000 rupees.

“ We were completely devastated when we found out early next morning,” one of the tour group members told the Daily Mirror. According to the holiday makers which included family and extended family including Canadian citizens they had immediately informed the Naval Police upon discovery early morning on Wednesday.

The holiday makers had been staying at the Forest Side Holiday Resort located within the premises and under the supervision of the Navy when the incident had occurred.

“From the time they ( the naval Police) walked in at 5.45 am they seemed to not want to find out what happened. Instead they checked our entire group and went in circles. Frustrated by this I asked them to secure the location and obtain finger prints to which they said there was no need,” Jayalath Samarakkody told the Daily Mirror.

Navy Spokesperson Commander Dinesh Bandara confirmed the incident and said it was being investigated.

“We don’t take a theft of this nature lightly. A separate investigation into the theft is ongoing by the Navy and the Police have also been informed. The Holiday makers had said they wanted to leave for Canada and decided not to make a complaint to the Police. However, we are taking this incident very seriously and investigations are ongoing” he said.

The group of tourists had arrived had the Eastern Command Naval base on Monday, January 29 as a part of a family outing.

“The entire family included a group of 46 people stayed at 3 different bungalows within the command. 19 of us stayed at the Forest Side Holiday Resort at which the incident occurred” Samarakkody said.

According to those present, they had slept at around 11.30 pm on Tuesday night after securing all entrances to the Bungalow. They had all slept in 3 rooms due to the in operation of one of the Air Conditioners in one of the rooms.

“We woke up between 4.30 and 5 the next morning because we were to leave back to Colombo. Then we realized some of the belongings were missing. Upon further inspection we saw that a window and doors were opened. We immediately informed the Naval Police who arrived at the Bungalow” Lalitha Padmini said.

She said that they were perturbed by the reactions of the officers.

“We were shocked. The main thing they should’ve done was to either immediately call the Police or take over and investigate. Instead they wanted our group checked which they did and found nothing. And thereafter nothing else was done” she said.

Relating the experience, Samarakkody, a Canadian citizen said: “There were 19 of us and none of us woke up. We were staying at a heavily fortified area and they rouges knew the dimensions of it in detail. That’s how they entered. I can’t understand why the scene wasn’t secured and finger prints not taken or the fact that the Police were not called in” he said.

Instead Samarakkody said that they were asked to proceed with a Police complaint by the Naval Police at around 12.00 Noon after the group was searched for 6 hours.

“We had already spent our entire morning and afternoon undergoing this .We just wanted to leave the place. Some of us had flights to catch the next day ( today) so we wanted to leave the place as fast as possible” he said.

However Samarakkody said that the Naval Police had refused to let them leave the premises without signing a statement which said that they did not require further investigation into the issue.

“We were told to sign that our complaint was only made for the purpose of informing and not for the purpose of investigation- which is ridiculous. But we had to abide by it because we wanted to leave” he said.

Samarakkody further said that he was informed by the Officer in Charge of the Naval Police that a bus had left the premises at 5 am that morning.

“I told him to stop the bus or search it. They could have at least found some clue. But they didn’t seem interested” he said. (Hafeel Farisz)

  Comments - 27

  • sobers Friday, 02 February 2018 08:27 AM

    When tourism is booming, these sort of things will bring disrepute and poor ratings on review. Navy should have handled it in a better way. If they are promoting tourism they should be more diplomatic. Anyhow it's a shame

    Treehorse Friday, 02 February 2018 08:37 AM

    Investigation. Lankan style !!

    Tharusha Hansaka Friday, 02 February 2018 01:23 PM

    Yes,of course,it's a joke.

    MH Friday, 02 February 2018 09:05 AM

    of course this was an inside job. no doubt that the workers were involved as well as the police they need there commission.

    SENA Friday, 02 February 2018 09:06 AM

    Miracle in the ASHCHARYE

    nilu Friday, 02 February 2018 09:09 AM

    navy spokesman is not Mr walakuluge and somebody else

    Ram Friday, 02 February 2018 09:25 AM

    What I see is the rogues are the rank and file of the Naval Command and that is why the Navy acted in the way explained in the article. They want to protect their people

    Tharusha Hamsaka Friday, 02 February 2018 01:25 PM

    Yes,exactly,that's the truth.

    Kamal t Friday, 02 February 2018 09:27 AM

    Inside job.

    Unchikun Friday, 02 February 2018 09:31 AM

    19 in 3 rooms. Staying in cheap accommodation. Sorry, you get what you pay for. Ah! Canadian citizens?

    Nisal Friday, 02 February 2018 01:18 PM

    Makes sense. So cheap accommodation = getting robbed by the Navy?

    Rahul Friday, 02 February 2018 01:55 PM

    You cannot say navy robbed them. It can be one among them as well.

    Madawa Friday, 02 February 2018 03:11 PM

    Agreed. That’s why they should do a proper investigation, including the guests as well as the Navy personnel. As per the article, it seems like all they did was search the guests. Hesitation to conduct any form of investigation on Navy personnel is very suspicious.

    Bash Friday, 02 February 2018 03:31 PM

    Without knowing the case don't be judgemental.

    BuffaloaCitizen Friday, 02 February 2018 09:39 AM

    These Sinhalese Tourists are just getting a taste of what all Tamils in the north and east had to undergo right through out their life.... State sponsored thuggery and crimes.

    Sangaralingham Friday, 02 February 2018 10:05 AM

    How come this investigations is not a complete honestly done. Is it an inside job.navy need continued review till culprits caught.

    Mahila Friday, 02 February 2018 12:23 PM

    To recover 300,000 rupees of cash and jewellery, Navy appears to have wanted to get the tourists to spend almost 600,000 rupees worth on rebooked flights or agree to forego the investigations altogether. That is investigation

    Nisal Friday, 02 February 2018 01:21 PM

    Would be very interesting to see if this had happened to any other people. The Navy is very concerned about this getting to the public as well as involving police, etc. Who knows what they are hiding inside that camp.

    Raj Friday, 02 February 2018 01:23 PM

    We are a rich country and theft of just 300,000 not really a matter to investigate. Even if someone swindles Billions of rupees, we just appoint committee after committee and never goes beyond that!!

    Friday, 02 February 2018 01:52 PM

    Lol . . .

    Jayasingha Friday, 02 February 2018 09:34 PM

    According to my information no visitors to Navy holiday bungalows are allowed without a naval person who is responsible for the group being in the group.

    no name Saturday, 03 February 2018 06:45 AM

    wonder of Asia via DM Android App

    Ravi Weerapperuma Saturday, 03 February 2018 02:14 PM

    This is a made up story by some interested party to tarnish the Navy image. If the theft is real the thieves cannot be an outsider. Person has to be someone within the group. Forest side holiday bungalow is only for Naval personnel free of charge not for fee...

    Sheri Saturday, 03 February 2018 05:57 PM

    Absolutely! Another fake story!

    Ravi Weerapperuma Saturday, 03 February 2018 03:00 PM

    May be to claim travel insurance....

    D.Ratnayake Saturday, 03 February 2018 11:07 PM

    ohhh, it is a neavy bunglow. what kind of security they have.

    Suminda Bamunusinghe Monday, 12 February 2018 11:28 AM

    This is a naval holiday bungalow, which can use free of charge for Naval families, I think navy should charge from this group(49 people) 300,000/= Rs per night, I am sure this is someone from the group or made up story to get something from travel insurance.


Add comment

Comments will be edited (grammar, spelling and slang) and authorized at the discretion of Daily Mirror online. The website also has the right not to publish selected comments.

Reply To:

Name - Reply Comment


Singling out of Rishad Bathiudeen as a political target

The orchestrated political campaign by the Mahinda Rajapaksa-led opposition i

TWISTS AND TURNS in the Dr. Shafi controversy

The sterilization charges against Dr. Seigu Shihabdeen Mohamed Shafi from the

Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) An in-depth look at ISIS

As the people and Government of Sri Lanka reel with shock and grief in the wa

Mahela declines to be part of Sri Lankan team Management at cricket World Cup

Weeks after guiding Mumbai Indians to their fourth IPL title--his second in t

MIRROR CRICKET