The tense situation which occurred in Gintota last night is completely under control, with law and order being established in the area, Law and Order Minister Sagala Ratnayaka said today.
In a statement, he said that additional Police battalions, the Police Special Task Force, the Anti-riot Squad and the military were called in last night to bring the situation under control.
"Under the instructions of the President and the Prime Minister, curfew was imposed in the area from last night until 9 am this morning. I am aware that some political groups are now on a desperate mission to turn this minor brawl into a Sinhala-Muslim clash. I urge the public not to be misled by their false propaganda,” he said.
He said the same elements were now in the process of disseminating false videos and news on social media platformss to stir up communal sentiments.
“I reiterate that stern action will be taken against everyone attempting to resort to racist propaganda irrespective of their positions and political affiliations. The same will apply to the rumour-mongers trying to capitalise on this opportunity to achieve petty political gains," the Minister said.
The IGP has instructed the CID to identify the personnel who misuse social media to spread false news over the incident and to take stern action against them.
Meanwhile, police said that 19 suspects were arrested so far over the tense situation reported in the area yesterday.
Revealing the line of events which took place in the area leading to the violent incidents yesterday, Police Media Spokesperson Ruwan Gunasekara said the first incident had taken place on November 13, but it had no literal connection to the incidents that followed.
“On November 13, a Muslim woman and her daughter were hit by a motorbike driven by a Sinhalese man. All three were injured and hospitalised. They were discharged after treatments and the issue was settled outside the Police as the bike rider had given Rs.25,000 as compensation to the woman and her daughter. Thereafter, bike rider was released on police bail,” he said.
On Thursday, an attack had taken place in retaliation over the accident. “However, no one with links to the accident was present at the scene which took place on Thursday in which one Muslim was injured,” he said.
Later on, two houses owned by Sinhalese persons had been attacked and one Sinhalese individual had been injured. The chain of events had then escalated and was brought under control by Friday with the help of politicians and religious leaders.
“However, another violent incident broke out last evening. As a result, the curfew was imposed,” he said adding the situation was under control now. (Lahiru Pothmulla)
Video by Anuradha Priyadarshana
ceylon Saturday, 18 November 2017 13:29
take president and pm to court and jail for allowing these crimes.years gone still no action for aluthgama killingsdestrying homesshops.multy billion damage. via DM Android App
Reply : 52 28
uthumanmushtaq Saturday, 18 November 2017 13:50
Damage of the Sinhalese houses reported and the damage of Muslim houses had not
Reply : 51 80
NOT a cricket match Sunday, 19 November 2017 07:23
We are not interested in a score card - about how may of houses of each communtiy is destroyed. - Severe punishment need be meted out to all those who take the law into their hands. They should be ordered by court to meet the cost of all damages. Also any delay by police to act (by even looking on) demands those policeman be dealt with even dismissal.
Reply : 0 36
internet Sunday, 19 November 2017 11:46
Reported or not - In the era of the internet all know the happenings as it happens. nothing can be hidden,
Reply : 0 5
machan Sunday, 19 November 2017 10:24
textbook racism: "an attack had taken place in retaliation over the accident. “However, no one with links to the accident was present at the scene"
Reply : 1 16
Selvyn Sunday, 19 November 2017 10:34
What ever said and done Good Governance really acts swiftly. MARA and GOTA should learn noble principles governance from My3 and RW
Reply : 18 25
ceylon Sunday, 19 November 2017 11:42
after destruction finishedkeep under control.but no one went to jail and no one order to pay damage of the destruction.all countrymen pay it.shame. via DM Android App
Reply : 2 3
Nizam Monday, 20 November 2017 09:39
After all its a shame on those who could have sorted things out creating unnecessary problems and seing for sides.
Reply : 0 0
TMA Wednesday, 22 November 2017 06:19
That's what the CID will be investigating you moron. People responsible for the attacks
Reply : 0 0
Nic Sunday, 19 November 2017 12:27
It has been reported elsewhere that in-spite of a "police curfew" attacks had occurred. That shows the incompetence and ineptness of law enforcement directly impacting the Minister of Law and Order. That shows his words are mere utterances with no real and tangible credibility. 19 being arrested and CID investigating?! LOL!
Reply : 0 7
Lord Wolfstein Sunday, 19 November 2017 13:22
It is quite clear who pulls the strings. It is the tactics of MR and his henchman of the JO to destabilize the country by any means. Starting with disturbances of parliamentary sessions, organizing strikes and rallies to the stirring up of racial hatred and more machinations. When will the masterminds finally get behind bars?
Reply : 3 9
nick Monday, 20 November 2017 08:55
give this ministry to SF & take petroleum as Arjuna is concern about cricket so he can take the sport ministry while millions of people suffer for fuel & of coz dayasiri can join the Aloysius team on top Mr clean Sujith also be a team leader in it via DM Android App
Reply : 0 2
firstname.lastname@example.org Wednesday, 22 November 2017 06:35
I think reserving schools for particular communities should be discouraged so that there is mixing of different communities from the school level,Raja Senanayake
Reply : 1 1
Add commentComments will be edited (grammar, spelling and slang) and authorized at the discretion of Daily Mirror online. The website also has the right not to publish selected comments.