Last Updated : 2019-01-22 16:20:44

Apps Advertising Home Delivery Feedback

Compensation to war-affected: New Cabinet memo submitted

20 June 2018 08:02 am - 8     - {{hitsCtrl.values.hits}}

A A A

A fresh Cabinet memorandum seeking to grant compensation to war affected people including ex-LTTE combatants was reported to have been submitted yesterday.

Sources said, the Cabinet withheld its approval for this compensation formula till the establishment of the reparation office after enacting necessary legislation.

This is the third time this Cabinet paper was submitted. It was first submitted last year. But, the move was shelved amid widespread objections to the inclusion of ex-LTTE combatants.

Resettlement and Rehabilitation Minister D.M. Swaminathan submitted it again last week but met with similar resistance on that occasion as well.

The memo was taken up for discussion yesterday when Minister Patali Champika Ranawaka had reportedly raised objections.

Finance Minister Mangala Samaraweera is reported to have said that compensation could be paid only through the reparation office after it was set up. (Kelum Bandara)

  Comments - 8

  • Sangaralingham Wednesday, 20 June 2018 08:30 AM

    Various bombing episodes by our troops failed the target and damaged many properties which the owners could not fix. They should be definitely compensated to fix their houses and properties

    Karunarathne Wednesday, 20 June 2018 08:54 AM

    All most all who are thieves , rapists, etc are mostly made by the society due to non availability of proper guidance As a result the dependents suffer.Best thing is to included them also for this proposal!. They are more suffer as they haven't any backing from politicians etc.

    Chari Wednesday, 20 June 2018 09:00 AM

    Ex LTTE Combatants should be in Jail. Rascals. Not given compensation. This is the pressure from the Diaspora on this Government.

    ranjan Wednesday, 20 June 2018 01:14 PM

    same thing should apply to ex troops and disable troops.

    cheers Wednesday, 20 June 2018 09:16 AM

    Why that was not SL govt fault it was the tamil tigers who put them in that situation and also the tamil diaspora who funded the terrorist and now are you crazy give compensation

    sanjay Wednesday, 20 June 2018 11:50 AM

    9 years has gone by and still debating if compensation should be paid... meanwhile many Buddhist temples have come up in the North

    Upali Wednesday, 20 June 2018 03:36 PM

    So what’s the problem? Hindu shrines have come up in the south too.

    Dayawathie Thursday, 21 June 2018 09:19 AM

    That emergency lane on the expressway is too narrow anyway. I knew something like this happen when it was first built. It will happen in the future too. So much for saving money by building an inferior road. Who pocketed the money ?.


Add comment

Comments will be edited (grammar, spelling and slang) and authorized at the discretion of Daily Mirror online. The website also has the right not to publish selected comments.

Reply To:

Name - Reply Comment


Online sexism perpetuates with impunity

The forward journey of a woman is often hampered by culture, stereotypes and

Karannagoda arrives at CID

Former Navy Commander Admiral Wasantha Karannagoda arrived at the Criminal In

25 UNP backbenchers to defeat President’s expenditure head

UNP MP Hirunika Premachandra said yesterday more than 25 UNP backbenchers wer

UL has no manual on obtaining foreign, financial loans

SriLankan Airlines does not have an instruction manual or guidebook when it c

 

 

 

TODAY'S HEADLINES