Foreign Minister Mangala Samaraweera today charged that a house had been rented as the official residence of the Sri Lankan Consul General in Los Angeles in 2013 and a sum of Rs. 27.6 million has been spent for it while it was occupied by former Defense Secretary Gotabaya Rajapaksa's son for more than a year.
Participating in the budget debate in Parliament yesterday he said US Dollars 10,000 had been paid as a deposit for it. Minister Samaraweera also charged that Rs. 2.3 billion had been spent for overseas visits during the Rajapaksa regime between 2012 and 2014.
Following these allegations, JVP MP Sunil Handunnetti proposed that a special select committee be set up to look into the alleged malpractices that have taken place at the Foreign Ministry between 2005 and 2015. Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe said that it would be welcomed by the government. (Yohan Perera)
Arnold Wednesday, 30 November 2016 20:24
It's been 2 years already. Please stop the vein talk and punish the culprits.
Reply : 10 60
mike Wednesday, 30 November 2016 21:04
how can you punish without evidence? anyone can shoot in the air. these are mostly cooked up allegations to cover up bad governance. country is burning with strikes.
Reply : 24 40
concern Wednesday, 30 November 2016 21:04
It will never happen the way things are going in the country
Reply : 2 19
nick Wednesday, 30 November 2016 20:52
seriously day by day that and this to mislead the public we are fed up with it nowwe need to see more jobs and brighter future at the moment everything looks dim via DM Android App
Reply : 6 34
Patriot Wednesday, 30 November 2016 20:55
Between 2005 and 2014, everything was misused. The people who were washing pot and pans at the Rapapaksa residences also had diplomatic passports!!
Reply : 35 29
lal Wednesday, 30 November 2016 21:00
you spoke about the coup occurred on 8 th January presidential election results night. Your talks are like that via DM Android App
Reply : 2 28
Lankan Wednesday, 30 November 2016 21:11
Not a single person jailed for corruption since the new government took office!
Reply : 2 35
Bala Wednesday, 30 November 2016 21:48
The number of scams are so large that we will have to import special trained police to inquire as the present FCID CID and other authorities loke the BC are not enough to tackle so many.
Reply : 16 12
faizal Thursday, 1 December 2016 07:46
this is a sad story. the pot and the kettle are both black. via DM Android App
Reply : 1 14
Add commentComments will be edited (grammar, spelling and slang) and authorized at the discretion of Daily Mirror online. The website also has the right not to publish selected comments.