Foreign Employment Minister Thalatha Athukorala said today the Foreign Employment Bureau would no longer make any effort to bring back Sri Lankan housemaids from abroad if they had not registered with the Bureau.
With this regulation coming into effect from January 1, this year, any housemaid, who had gone abroad for employment without registering with the Bureau, would not be brought back at state expense even in case of ill health, mistreatment by employers or their bodies in case of death.
The minister told a news conference that the Bureau had to spend about Rs.50 million including insurance payments last year to bring back injured Sri Lankan housemaids or the bodies in case of death even though they were employed through illegal and unregistered recruitment agencies.
“In such cases family members will have to make a payment to the Bureau. The purpose of this regulation is to minimize Lankan workers going aboard in an illegal manner,” she said. (Piyumi Fonseka)
Video by Richan
Nirmala Samarawickrama Wednesday, 6 January 2016 19:01
Rs.50 million is just a peanut compared to the remittances which they bring to Sri Lanka which was USD6.8Bn in 2014.
Reply : 2 26
Sambo Wednesday, 6 January 2016 19:33
Damn Good. A very good decision at last.
Reply : 16 4
Amanan Wednesday, 6 January 2016 19:41
So then the govt. can tax 15000 per person when they come back
Reply : 0 14
Add commentComments will be edited (grammar, spelling and slang) and authorized at the discretion of Daily Mirror online. The website also has the right not to publish selected comments.