Navy win season opener in a thriller

10 November 2018 12:03 am - 0     - {{hitsCtrl.values.hits}}


By Shannon Nicholas

The 2018/19 Dialog Inter-Club League Rugby Tournament got off to an electrifying start as Navy SC snatched a 24-23 victory from Police SC in the last minute of their fixture played at the Police Park yesterday (09).

Navy SC collected their points from three goals and a penalty while the hosts were only able to score a goal, two tries and two penalties.

Both teams started off well but the scoreboard was untouched until the 21st minute when Navy SC got the crucial breakthrough.

Charith Silva went over the line for the first try of the evening and Skipper Thilina Weerasinghe added the extras with ease. (Navy 7, Police 0).

Police SC struck back almost immediately when full back Uthpala Edirisinghe managed to creep through the Navy defence to touch down.

They wasted the opportunity to tie the scores as the conversion was missed but few minutes later Shanaka Harischandra managed to put Police SC in front as he executed a perfectly taken try. (Navy 7, Police 10).

The home team’s lead was short lived however, as Navy SC’s Harsha Maduranga planted a try with just three minutes remaining of the half.

With the conversion, Navy amended the scores to 14-10 before Referee Priya Suranga blew for half time.

After the break, the Cops struck back with their third try of the evening through Udaya Sanjula with just five minutes into the half.

With Amitha Prabath’s successful conversion, the scores read 14-17.

Prabath then extended their lead when he bisected the poles through a penalty.

Having being put six points behind, Navy SC managed to pull back a try immediately when the nifty Richie Darmapala planted the ball for his team’s third try.

With Weerasinghe’s conversion, Navy SC put themselves in front (Navy 21, Police 20).

Prabath was on point with his penalty kick soon afterwards, as he managed to get Police SC in front again.

His counterpart, Weerasinghe failed however as his penalty kick deviated past the uprights few minutes later, much to the relief of the home side.

Navy SC kept pushing as they looked for an upset and were awarded a penalty with less than a minute to go.

Weerasinghe had the last laugh when he sent the ball between the posts gloriously as the homes side looked on with disbelief. 

  Comments - 0

Add comment

Comments will be edited (grammar, spelling and slang) and authorized at the discretion of Daily Mirror online. The website also has the right not to publish selected comments.

Reply To:

Name - Reply Comment