The Cabinet gave go ahead to enact legislation to ban the slaughter of cattle, the Government Information Department said yesterday. Legislative work will be initiated in keeping with the policy decision taken by the Cabinet at its meeting held on September 28, 2020 to prohibit cattle slaughter to increase local milk production.
According to it , the Legal Draftsman has drafted bills to amend the following acts / ordinances.
- Authority 272 of the Cattle Slaughter Ordinance No. 9 of 1893
- Animal Act No. 29 of 1958
- Authority 252 of Municipal Councils Ordinance
- Authority 255 of Urban Councils Ordinance
- Pradeshiya Sabha Ordinance No. 15 of 1987
The Attorney General has certified that the said bills are not clashing with the provisions of the Constitution. Accordingly, the Cabinet of Ministers granted approval to the consolidated resolution tabled by the Prime Minister; the Minister of Public Services, Provincial Councils and Local Government and the Minister of Agriculture to publish these bills in the government Gazette as notifications and thereby to table in the Parliament.
- Legal Draftsman has drafted bills to amend the acts