Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe informed parliament today that 161 suspects were in police custody while another 167 suspects were in remand custody in connection with the Easter Sunday attack.
He told parliament that 99 persons had also been arrested on suspicion over the attack and added that they would be produced in court on the advice of the Attorney General after completion of the investigations.
The Premier said this in response to a question raised by UNP MP S.M. Marikkar on the suspects arrested in connection with the Easter Sunday attack.
The Prime Minister said investigations had revealed that the arrested suspects had been either directly or indirectly connected to the incident. "The investigations are still going on," he said.
When asked about the suspects arrested in connection with the violent incidents reported in Kuliyapitiya and Hettipola areas, the Premier said 39 suspects were produced in court over the incident and proper punishment would be meted out to all those aided and abetted the incident.
The Premier said compensations to the injured and damaged property would be completed by next week and added that estimates of the damages are being assessed. (Ajith Siriwardana and Yohan Perera)