A fire broke out at the main laboratory of the Karapitiya Teaching Hospital in Galle this evening, the Police said.
They said no casualties were reported in the fire and the damage caused to the properties had not been evaluated yet.
Meanwhile, speaking to Daily Mirror, Hospital Director Dr. Jayampathy Senanayake said fire had erupted in a room attached to the hospital laboratory.
However, the fire has been doused by the firefighting units preventing further damage.
Several equipment and machines in the room had been damaged in the fire.
Dr. Senanayake said the fire could have been erupted due to an electric short circuit in one of machines in the room.
He said the hospital activities which were obstructed due to the fire had been returned to normalcy. (Darshana Sanjeewa and Thilanka Kanakarathna)