There’s something about great pieces of jewelry that announce your entrance to a room, an endless stack of matte gold bracelets, a vintage necklace, a lustrous pair of statement earrings. Jewelry doubles as a modern-day armor of sorts, infusing confidence from within and letting it be quietly felt, that you have, in fact, arrived.
A woman’s love-affair with jewelry is a never-ending one, and despite evolving trends, there are always a few special pieces that find a lasting home in a sacred box. While there are many boutique brands creating exquisite pieces, a special few that command a room for their bold, unique designs are as follows.
THE LOCAL EDIT
(1) Saskia Fernando was born into design, and the Akuru Collection from her timeless label Papillon du thé retailing exclusively at PR pays homage to Sri Lanka, beautifully. She finds an interesting balance of designing pieces that are contemporary and refined while encompassing a vintage aesthetic through colour and form. The collection embodies an effortless versatility in all the ways the pieces can be styled, and prove to be a great conversion starter during travels away from home.
Papillon du thé
(2) Likewise, the Zodiac Collection by Misho also retailing at PR, draws clever inspiration from South East Asian culture. Dubbed as ‘handcrafted architecture for the body,’ the pieces exquisitely blend astrological elements with the fashionable gold coin trend to create the ultimate statement, or layering, necklace.
(3) From eclectic pearl hoops to rings that make a statement in size, yet remain minimalistic in form, Aadna (@aadna.jewellery) hand-crafts jewelry that transcends traditional engraving to achieve a modern, fashion-forward creation.
(4) Similar to Aadna, Twixt (@twixtdesignslk) is an on-trend brand, hand-crafting chunky hoops and Boho coin necklaces that make perfect am-to-pm pieces.
(5) Based in Ahangama, design studio Olive Yu (@olivieyujewellery) creates chic pieces using natural gems. Ranging from bold to dainty, each piece has a uniquely modern, utilitarian feel to it.
(6) Similarly, Tale Thoughts (@talethoughts) takes the customer on a slow journey to appreciate the beauty of imperfections and simplicity. Founded by self-taught designer couple Sam and Herbie, their original handmade jewelry retains an organic, raw feeling and is known for a playful, vivid feeling of an endless summer.
COVETING FROM AFAR
(7) I first came across New York based BaubleBar while in the States, and was instantly fascinated with their eclectic, quirky pieces; a brand that doesn’t take themselves too seriously and designs to the beat of their own rhythm. Despite being based in the Big Apple, their price points are relatively accessible and they ship internationally.
(8) For an equally fun local alterative, Olivia Dar retailing at PR is your go-to!
Uber luxe boutique brand OutHouse based in New Delhi, handcrafts exquisite, bold pieces. From earrings that make an entrance, to more reserved, pearl accented accessories, the brand is incredibly à la mode.
Olivia Dar at PR
(9) Uber luxe boutique brand OutHouse based in New Delhi, handcrafts exquisite, bold pieces. From earrings that make an entrance, to more reserved, pearl accented accessories, the brand is incredibly à la mode.
(10) Another Indian based Brand, Suhani Pittie, crafts pieces that are artistically driven and nod gracefully towards their heritage.