By Shamzeer Jaleel
Trinity College under the leadership of Reshan Bandaranayake ended a 42 year long wait when they clinched the Cup Championship at the Inter-Schools Under-20 Sevens Rugby Tournament worked off at the Pallekele Stadium in Kandy today (22).
The Trinitians edged-out St. Peter’s College 5-0 in an exciting final after the scores were nil all at half time.
Trinity last won the Under-20 Sevens title way back in 1977 under the captaincy of Ravi Balasuriya.
Janidu Ratnayake scored the match winning try for the Lions when he fell over near the right corner flag shortly before the final whistle.
Meanwhile, Royal accounted for the Plate title when they beat St. Anthony’s College in the final.
The Bowl title went to Science College, Mount Lavinia who beat Dharmaraja College while Moratu MV accounted for the Shield title.
The results: Kingswood beat Royal 33-5, St. Peter’s beat Zahira 28-12, Trinity beat St. Anthony’s 32-14, Isipathana beat Wesley 19-10.
- (Cup semi-finals): St. Peter’s beat Kingswood 17-12 (extra time), Trinity beat Isipathana 12-5.
- (Cup final): Trinity beat St. Peter’s 5-0.
- (Plate semi-finals): Royal beat Zahira 29-0, St. Anthony’s beat Wesley 12-5.
- (Plate final): Royal beat St. Anthony’s 28-7.
- (Bowl semi-finals): Dharmaraja beat Sri Sumangala 40-7, Siri Piyarathana MV, Padukka received a walk over.
- (Bowl final): Science College beat Dharmaraja 22-7.
- (Shield semi-finals): Moratu MV beat St. Thomas’, Matale 36-5, Richmond beat Prince of Wales 17-0.
- (Shield final)|: Moratu MV beat Richmond 12-5.