By Susil Premalal
Ravindu Laksiri and Fathoum Issadeen were crowned champions at the 40th National Squash Championships conducted by Sri Lanka Squash.
It was successfully concluded at SSC squash courts on Sunday adhering to strict health guidelines with nearly 100 participants taking part.
Laksiri claimed his eighth consecutive national title when he breezed past Shameel Wakeel 3-0 in the Men’s Open final 11/6, 11/3, 11/2.
Fathoum successfully defended her national title in the Women’s Open final which went the distance defeating Chanithma Sinaly 3-2 (11/3, 11/4, 2/11, 6/11, 11/3).
The National Squash Championship is the most looked forward to national ranking tournament in the squash calendar and was worked off at SSC squash courts from January 28 to 31.
Amal Edirisooriya, Director General of Sports Development Department, attached to Ministry of Sports, was the chief guest at the awards ceremony.
This tournament was the first national ranking tournament to be conducted, post COVID-19 lockdown and also the first tournament to be conducted by the Sri Lanka Squash Executive committee appointed last September.
- Women’s Open - Fathoum Issadeen beat Chanithma Sinaly 3-2 (11/3, 11/4, 2/11, 6/11, 11/3)
- Men’s Open - Ravindu Laksiri beat Shameel Wakeel 3-0 (11/6, 11/3, 11/2)
- Women’s Novices - Winner: Ishara Udeni Dayarathna, Runner-up: W. J. Hirunika Shiwangani
- Men’s Novices - Winner: Shehan Ratnatunga, Runner-up: Dinesh Sarathchandra
- Women’s Over 35 - Winner: Niroshi Jayasuriya, Runner-up: Lalanthi Daluwatta
- Men’s Over 35 - Winner: K. G. Prabath, Runner-up: D. M. R. Dissanayaka
- Men’s Over 40 - Winner: Anura Hewage, Runner-up: Col. Kaminda Silva
- Men’s Over 45 - Winner: Basheer Cader, Runner-up: Brig. W.L. Premasiri
- Men’s Over 50 Master Open - Winner: Mohamed Riswan, Runner-up: Brig. W.L. Premasiri
- Men’s Over 55 Veteran’s Open - Winner: I.M. Ramzi, Runner-up: K. Padmakumara
- Men’s Open Plate Round - Winner: E.A. Nevindu Lakman, Runner-up: H.W. Malith Methsiri