Ceylon Electricity Board (CEB) and Sri Lanka Army emerged men’s and women’s champions respectively at the Munchee National Super League Volleyball Championship held at the NYSC Indoor Stadium on Saturday.
In the 10-team men’s competition, CEB defeated Bitulink SC 3-1 in the final (25-22, 25-21, 22-25, 25-14).
SL Army defeated SL Air Force 3-1 in the women’s final (25-19, 21-25, 25-22, 25-22). This is the first time SL Army have won the women’s national title in the history of this competition which attracted eight teams.
Held after a year because of the COVID-19 pandemic, B.A.C. Hirushan of CEB and Army’s ThilinaVasana Perera were adjudged the Most Valuable Players of the Munchee National Super League Volleyball Championship.
The third place play-off was won by SL Army in the men’s segment and SL Navy in the women’s category.
The Sri Lanka Volleyball Federation (SLVB) has decided to pick a 30-member national pool with the conclusion of this tournament. They hope to release the names of the players selected before April 15.
The national pool training for both men and women will commence after May 15.
- Best Server – B.A.C. Hirushan (CEB)
- Best Receiver – A. KavinduPabasara (Bitulink)
- Best Setter – KavinduChathuranga (CEB)
- Best Blocker – S.D.A.C.L. Pathirana (CEB)
- Best Defender – A.W. Lakmal (CEB)
- Best Attacker – DeepthiRomesh (CEB)
- Best Server – Ayesha Badurika (SL Army)
- Best Receiver – ThamaraDissanayake (SL Army)
- Best Setter – Iresha Perera (SL Army)
- Best Blocker – ApsaraSevmali (SL Army)
- Best Defender – ChathurikaGayani (SL Air Force)
- Best Attacker – DineshaPrasadani (SL Air Force)