Mannar mass grave
- JMO Saminda Rajapaksa said they would withdraw from the site following the court order
By Romesh Madushanka
Mannar Magistrate T. Saravanarajah yesterday issued an order suspending excavations at the Mannar mass grave site until
Judicial Medical Officer (JMO) Saminda Rajapaksa said they would withdraw from the site following the court order.
He said the excavation officers, specialist doctors and public representatives were scheduled to meet the Magistrate on April 20 and a decision on future action taken at the meeting.
Dr. Rajapaksa said they have unearthed 342 skeletal remains so far and they have separately placed 330 skeletons at the Mannar Magistrate’s Court. He said 30 skeletal remains belonged to children.
The carbon dating report from the Beta Analytic Institute of Florida, US, earlier revealed that the skeletal remains found in the mass grave date back to a period between 1499 and 1719 AD.