The five-year ban imposed by the Indian Government on the LTTE has been confirmed by a tribunal set up by the Narendra Modi government to examine whether the prohibitions on the terror organisation should continue, India Today reported yesterday.
It said according to sources in the Delhi High Court, the tribunal headed by Justice Sangita Dhingra Sehgal confirmed the ban on the LTTE on November 7 and the confirmation order has been sent to the government, in a sealed cover, for notification.
The tribunal arrived at its decision after hearing all stakeholders, including Marumalarchi Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (MDMK) leader and Rajya Sabha MP Vaiko who is an LTTE sympathiser.
The tribunal, set up under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act (UAPA), had held hearings in Delhi and Chennai after it was constituted on May 27.
India had banned the LTTE after the assassination of former prime minister Rajiv Gandhi in 1991. Since then, the ban imposed on the group has been extended every five years.
The Indian Ministry of Home Affairs had on May 14 extended the ban for five more years. The LTTE was last banned in 2014 for five years.
While extending the ban on the LTTE, the Home Ministry in its May 14 notification had said that the group’s continued violent and disruptive activities are prejudicial to the integrity and sovereignty of India, and it continues to adopt a strong anti-India posture and also continues to pose a grave threat to the security of Indian nationals.
The tribunal was constituted on May 27 under the UAPA to give an opportunity to the banned entity to present its case.