Thu, 01 Dec 2022 Today's Paper

Sri Lanka to ink JV with Chinese firm to develop southern port

9 December 2016 12:05 am - 0     - {{hitsCtrl.values.hits}}

A A A

REUTERS: Sri Lanka will take part in a joint venture with China Merchants Port Holdings Company Limited to develop a port in its South, where China has also been offered an investment zone.
The Cabinet approved a plan under which Sri Lanka will lease 80 percent of the Hambantota port to Hong Kong-based China Merchants Port Holdings Company for 99 years for US $1.12 billion, a government document showed.


China Merchants Port Holdings Company will make a US $5 million payment as a security deposit upon signing the agreement, which the government expects to do on January 7.
The company will pay 10 percent of the US $1.12 billion within one month, and the remaining 90 percent within six months of signing the transaction documents.
Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe had offered during a visit to China in April to swap equity in Sri Lankan infrastructure projects against some of the US $8 billion in debt the Indian Ocean island owes to China.


The port was built with the help of Chinese loans and contractors in 2010 under former, China-friendly President Mahinda Rajapaksa, as part of efforts to develop the country’s infrastructure after ending a 26-year war in 2009.
But the port and a nearby airport, also built with Chinese finance, are seen as white elephants because they are not proving financially viable, the government has said.

China’s interest in the port may reflect its ambition to build a ‘Maritime Silk Route’ to the oil-rich Middle East and onwards to Europe.
That makes some countries, including India and the United States, nervous, with Sri Lankasitting near shipping lanes through which much of the world’s trade passes en route to China and Japan.
Finance Minister Ravi Karunanayake in October said the government was in final talks with Chinese investors over setting up a 15,000-acre (6,100 hectare) investment zone near the port.
President Maithripaala Sirisena had suspended most Chinese infrastructure projects, including a US $1.4 billion luxury property deal, allegedly because proper procedures had not been followed or costs had been inflated under his predecessor.
But faced with a debt and balance-of-payments crisis, the new government eventually allowed all the projects to go ahead.

 


Order Gifts to Sri Lanka. See Kapruka's top selling online shopping categories such as Toys, Vegetables, Grocery, Flowers, Birthday Cakes, Fruits, Chocolates, Clothing and Electronics. Also see Kapruka's unique online services such as Sending Money,Online Books, Delivery Service, Food Delivery and over 700 top brands. Also get products from Amazon & Ebay via Kapruka Gloabal Shop Sri Lanka

  Comments - 0

Order Gifts to Sri Lanka. See Kapruka's top selling online shopping categories such as Toys, Vegetables, Grocery, Flowers, Birthday Cakes, Fruits, Chocolates, Clothing and Electronics. Also see Kapruka's unique online services such as Sending Money,Online Books, Delivery Service, Food Delivery and over 700 top brands. Also get products from Amazon & Ebay via Kapruka Gloabal Shop Sri Lanka

Add comment

Comments will be edited (grammar, spelling and slang) and authorized at the discretion of Daily Mirror online. The website also has the right not to publish selected comments.

Reply To:

Name - Reply Comment




Order Gifts to Sri Lanka. See Kapruka's top selling online shopping categories such as Toys, Vegetables, Grocery, Flowers, Birthday Cakes, Fruits, Chocolates, Clothing and Electronics. Also see Kapruka's unique online services such as Sending Money,Online Books, Delivery Service, Food Delivery and over 700 top brands. Also get products from Amazon & Ebay via Kapruka Gloabal Shop Sri Lanka

She said/He said

Much has been written and said in the last few days since the news was releas

POLICE ON TRIAL: Exercising Authority without Accountability

Although armed with the power of the State and empowered to use force against

Downfall and death of LTTE’s Mahathaya

The Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) ceased to exist as a functioning

Rishi Sunak; why SL did not have a Tamil or Muslim as President?

Britain now has a British Asian, Hindu Prime Minister, though Rishi Sunak is