Fri, 28 Jan 2022 Today's Paper

Cabinet go-ahead for WCT as public-private partnership project

3 March 2021 08:54 am - 0     - {{hitsCtrl.values.hits}}

A A A

 

  • Consortium led by India’s Adani group and local partner JKH to hold 85%; SLPA to hold 15%
  • To be developed and managed under BOT model for a period of 35 years
  • JKH in similar partnership with Maersk in operating South Asia Gateway Terminal
  • Japan yet to nominate investor

The Cabinet of Ministers granted approval to develop the West Container Terminal (WCT) of Port of Colombo on build, operate and transfer (BOT) basis for a period of 35 years as a public-private partnership (PPP) with India’s largest terminal operator, Adani Ports and Special Economic Zone (APSEZ) Limited, and its local representative John Keells Holding PLC (JKH), with Sri Lanka Ports Authority (SLPA) taking a minority stake in the project.


On Monday, Ports and Shipping Minister Rohitha Abeygunawardena sought Cabinet approval for the proposal, based on recommendations of the Cabinet appointed negotiation committee.


Accordingly, Adani Ports and its local partner JKH are expected to hold 85 percent stake in the proposed public-private company and SLPA is expected to take up the remaining 15 percent in the company.


JKH has been in similar partnership with the leading shipping liner Maersk in operating the South Asia Gateway Terminals (SAGT) of Port of Colombo.

On February 2nd, the Cabinet of Ministers approved a proposal to develop the WCT as a PPP with SLPA and nominated parties of India and Japan, after the government decided to retain the full management of the East Container Terminal (ECT) with SLPA moving away from an earlier agreement with India and Japan to manage and develop ECT jointly.


The Cabinet appointed negotiation committee and a project committee presented the proposed BOT plan after evaluations, to the High Commission of India and the Embassy of Japan requesting them to nominate investors.


“The proposal presented by Adani Ports and Special Economic Zone Limited (APSEZ Consortium) has been approved by the Indian High Commission, the Government Information Department said.


However, Japan was yet to nominate an investor.


The WCT is expected to have a 1,400-metre quay wall, water depth of 20m, terminal area of about 64 hectares with annual capacity of 2.6 million TEUs. The development of WCT, which is yet to begin, is estimated to take around 2 years.

 

 

See Kapruka's top selling online shopping categories such as Toys, Grocery, Flowers, Birthday Cakes, Fruits, Chocolates, Clothing and Electronics. Also see Kapruka's unique online services such as Money Remittence,News, Courier/Delivery, Food Delivery and over 700 top brands. Also get products from Amazon & Ebay via Kapruka Gloabal Shop into Sri Lanka.

Sell your vehicle & house fast with hitad.lk only cost is Rs.400, Advertise in Hitad.lk for free to sell your mobile phone. Want to sell your Pet, Advertise for Free in hitad.lk Search for Houses in Sri Lanka and find the best place through Hitad.lk find your best tuition place. Find the best partner for you, visit hitad.lk Find anything at any time hitad.lk.

  Comments - 0

See Kapruka's top selling online shopping categories such as Toys, Grocery, Flowers, Birthday Cakes, Fruits, Chocolates, Clothing and Electronics. Also see Kapruka's unique online services such as Money Remittence,News, Courier/Delivery, Food Delivery and over 700 top brands. Also get products from Amazon & Ebay via Kapruka Gloabal Shop into Sri Lanka.

Sell your vehicle & house fast with hitad.lk only cost is Rs.400, Advertise in Hitad.lk for free to sell your mobile phone. Want to sell your Pet, Advertise for Free in hitad.lk Search for Houses in Sri Lanka and find the best place through Hitad.lk find your best tuition place. Find the best partner for you, visit hitad.lk Find anything at any time hitad.lk.


Add comment

Comments will be edited (grammar, spelling and slang) and authorized at the discretion of Daily Mirror online. The website also has the right not to publish selected comments.

Reply To:

Name - Reply Comment




See Kapruka's top selling online shopping categories such as Toys, Grocery, Flowers, Birthday Cakes, Fruits, Chocolates, Clothing and Electronics. Also see Kapruka's unique online services such as Money Remittence,News, Courier/Delivery, Food Delivery and over 700 top brands. Also get products from Amazon & Ebay via Kapruka Gloabal Shop into Sri Lanka.

Sell your vehicle & house fast with hitad.lk only cost is Rs.400, Advertise in Hitad.lk for free to sell your mobile phone. Want to sell your Pet, Advertise for Free in hitad.lk Search for Houses in Sri Lanka and find the best place through Hitad.lk find your best tuition place. Find the best partner for you, visit hitad.lk Find anything at any time hitad.lk.