Higher Education Minister S.B. Dissanayake said today that Sri Lanka spends 5% of its Gross Domestic Product on Education which is much higher than the amounts spent for education in certain developed countries
Referring to trade union action of FUTA he said it was unfair to resort to this trade union action as their salaries had been increased by 83.61% together with the increase scheduled for October thus, senior professors enjoyed a salary of more than Rs.170, 000 with all allowances which was higher than the Supreme Court Judge and a salary of a lecturer had been increased by 54.03% which was more than Rs.75, 000.
He accused the trade unions of having become politicised and only 5% of the academics who had other agendas resorted to this type of action. The other 95% had realised that this trade union action was unfair.
“We are happy that 95% of the lecturers have realised that this trade union action is unfair and gradually started attending lectures. We are ready to have discussions with them at any time and resolve this issue on mutual grounds. We will have discussions with them after their ongoing protest March. We are ready to increase the allocation of the GDP for education as per international standards” he added. (Ajith Siriwardana)
its not how much you spend mate, its HOW you spend what you spend
shiv Saturday, 29 September 2012 01:23 AM
The plan is to undermine the public education, public transport and public health system . So that people will be compelled to use a private alternative. Just like what has happened in India and more recently in Brazil. The Indian public health and education system is in shambles .
shiv Saturday, 29 September 2012 01:19 AM
Most western countries have a free education system for their citizens. Its only those who go from other countries that have to pay through their noses
Aminda Friday, 28 September 2012 02:12 PM
Sorry to tell this, But most Sri Lankans who studied in Universities like Moratuwa, Colombo Japura are working in abroad and in private sector. Do not blame Government universities without studying the system. How many Chartered Accountants , ACMA ,ACCA members
manju Friday, 28 September 2012 03:57 AM
developed countries have a good education system and the budgets help to upkeep them. Sri Lanka needs to revamp its education so 5% is not enough.
we all know that to really be productive we need an additional qualification from a foreign institute. 99% of our professionals have advanced qualifications from other countries.
99% with only local qualifications are in govt employment and go on strikes...
for future development we either have to adopt a more market relevant education system or always plan for alternate overseas higher education/qualification
saif Friday, 28 September 2012 03:46 AM
yes they allocate 5% but it reaches to defined target as 0.000005% , the balance ate by the minis and its tails, etc..... .
Hussain Thursday, 27 September 2012 11:46 PM
# Hal- No. 55 on the world survey, Netherlands spend 5.1% of its GDP on education.
Hussain Thursday, 27 September 2012 11:44 PM
5% of GDP is about the average ( actual average figure is 4.9%) most countries spend on education. Per the latest statistics of 132 countries : Cuba spends 18.7% of its GDP on education at the top of the scale and the bottom of the scale Equatorial Guinea spends .06% of its GDP . Most advanced countries spend between 5 & 6 % of their GDP on education.
shehans Thursday, 27 September 2012 10:37 PM
Then what about Germany? School and University education is totally free.
ricky Thursday, 27 September 2012 09:32 AM
This 5% in real terms is nothing in comparison to the amount spent on education by the countries concerned with the education of their general population. What is SB trying to prove?
Hal Thursday, 27 September 2012 04:29 PM
Sorry pal, check the Netherlands.
ajith Thursday, 27 September 2012 02:39 PM
Yes SB is correct. In SL free education. In western world no free education.
sg Thursday, 27 September 2012 02:12 PM
We wants more educated and MINDFUL people in future politics in Sri LANKA
SCW Thursday, 27 September 2012 10:00 AM
we are mad for having elected these fellows
dass Thursday, 27 September 2012 09:54 AM
Someone is suffering from Mad Cow Disease.
sunil Abey Thursday, 27 September 2012 09:47 AM
you and your peech good for nothing....played with many poor students Z score game and samurdi coupens.
Wara Thursday, 27 September 2012 09:44 AM
all three, I guess !
gonnamba Thursday, 27 September 2012 09:33 AM
are we mad, or FUTA is mad or this fellow is mad??
Comments will be edited (grammar, spelling and slang) and authorized at the discretion of Daily Mirror online. The website also has the right not to publish selected comments.