A fire broke out at the Govijana Mandiraya of the Ministry of Agriculture at Battaramulla a short while ago, fire brigade said.
Duty officer at the Fire Brigade, W. U. I Perera said that the fire broke out in the first floor of the five storey building. “Those who were at the office at the time saw the fire but were unable to put it out as they did not know how to use the fire extinguishers.
He said that the fire brigade was formed about the fire at 7.30 a.m this morning and had arrived at the scene 10 minutes after.
Police said that the cause of the fire was an electrical short circuit that occurred in the building and that investigations were being conducted into the incident.