The Civil Defence Force is to take over the security of the National Museum in Colombo 7, following the robbery of valuable items from the Museum, Minister of National Heritage Jagath Balasuriya said.
He said that a suggestion to seek the support of Ratna Lanka Private Security Firm Ltd had been dismissed by a special committee which has been appointed to look into the theft. The minister said this committee had also decided to create a special ‘Security Officer’s Post’ which would be responsible for the security of the museum.
“There are no adequate funds to set up a security alarm system and to seek the assistance of a private security firm for the Museum,” the minister said.
It had been decided to continue police protection to the museum premises till permanent precautions are taken with regard to security.
The minister also said that the ground floor of the Colombo Museum is to be opened for public from tomorrow (22). (Yohan Perera)
Dehand Senanayake Wednesday, 21 March 2012 11:17 AM
I HAVE A STRONG FEELING THAT THE RING THAT WAS STOLEN FROM THE MUESEUM WAS THE 'PERAS MUDDA'. ANYBODY'S GUESS AS TO WHERE IT ENDED UP? YOUR GUESS IS AS GOOD AS MINE.
Tharaka Chanaka Wednesday, 21 March 2012 11:44 AM
sltk2004 Wednesday, 21 March 2012 11:42 AM
Don't forget the National archives. That contains very valuable documents - even more valuable than things at the museum. We need to take some plan to protect the archives. Note that the walls around the archives have been removed now.
sxhabeeb Wednesday, 21 March 2012 12:03 PM
YES, THERE IS NO ENOUGH FUND TO PROTECT THE HERITAGE & HITORY.
Dammika Wednesday, 21 March 2012 11:55 AM
This will allow to replace the stolen items in the museum
V. Andrew Wednesday, 21 March 2012 11:43 AM
Closing the stable door after the horse has bolted. Classic action, Sri Lankan style.
Comments will be edited (grammar, spelling and slang) and authorized at the discretion of Daily Mirror online. The website also has the right not to publish selected comments.